Home Buying in Dunning>Question Details

Confused, Other/Just Looking in Elk Grove Village, IL

Question about short sales and first time home buyer status

Asked by Confused, Elk Grove Village, IL Wed Oct 10, 2012

Someone recently told me that to qualify as a first time home buyer, you can not have financial interest in a property for the past 3 years. My short sale closed in early 2010, so would I potentially be able to qualify for a first time homebuyer program in early 2013 after the 3 years is up if I decide to buy again?

Answers

12
yes, there are options for you 2-3 years after a short sale - definitely heed the advice of other agents here and talk to your mortgage broker.
Web Reference: http://www.chicagorelaw.com
I think you can buy a house after 2 years of your shortsale close
Creo que puedes comprar una casa despues de que tu shortsale venta corta cierra y pasan 24 meses
I had a short sale last year and my Realtor recommend http://www.cfs-mortgage.com/flex for a home loan. I am very happy to be able to purchase again.
Reaching out to a lender or mortgage broker will give you the best answers for your specific situations. Loan programs are constantly changing, and everyone's situation is different. If you sit down with a mortgage broker, they can look at your scenario and see if they can find something that will work for you. It's what they do, and how they make money. Sitting down or calling one should not cost you anything. Be honest with them.

Good Luck

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference: http://www.paulcionczyk.com
if you can prove , that short sale was NOT a strategic DEFAULT only because you were financially distressed that waiting time is 2 years.
It is most important to work with a lender or mortgage broker that you know you can trust. They will be able to provide you with the correct information. If you would like a referral for a mortgage broker, please feel free to email me and I can send over their contact information.

Thank you!

Josh Weinberg
Weinberg Choi Realty
josh@weinbergchoirealty.com
Hello Confused - this is correct. You will be classified as a first time home buyer 3 years after the sale date of your Short Sale.
Sam Sharp
Senior VP of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
773-290-0455
Speak to a lender and assuming your income, assets, and credit are adequate you should be able to get financing in 3 yrs.

Feel free to contact me should you have any Q's:

Bill J Deligiannis
B.Deligiannis@gofcm.com
First Centennial Mortgage
There's not really a "rule of thumb" with mortgages these days, every deal is different. You should talk to at least two trusted mortgage brokers about your situation (including credit rating, debt, savings, etc.) - then you'll have a good idea of your buying potential and you'll be off to a great start.

Kelli Johannesen-Logan
@properties
(773) 255-2691
kelli@chicagourbanliving.com
That is correct, after your third full year you are classified as a first time home buyer again.
I would check with a lender, I am not sure if you would be able to qualify.
You need to call a number of lenders to se what they say.