Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

nachyaonline, Home Buyer in Culver City, CA

Question about mold

Asked by nachyaonline, Culver City, CA Fri Jun 21, 2013

Our offer was accepted on a condo in Mar Vista. The condo was occupied by a tenant for the last 8 years, it has not been maintained properly. Most of the appliances don't work and there are little problems all around the house. The biggest problem was the AC unit closet has mold, the dry wall and the floor are covered with it. The kitchen cabinet under the sink also has mold. The seller has agreed to replace the dry wall, floor and the kitchen cabinet. Question is if replacing walls and cabinets is good enough to take care of the mold? Do I need to worry about anything else? Should I still get a mold inspection?

Overall the condo is not in a great shape cosmetically but it is also 30K cheaper than another condo sold in the same complex.

Answers

8
Make sure work is done by certified Mold contractor and you get a "all clear" letter from them. As precaution have another Mold inspection done after work is completed.
Everything that glitters is not gold. You need a professional mold inspection company to inspect the condominium. They will inspect and tell you the cause of the mold. Also, they will give an estimate on repair costs. There is a moisture problem that may come from this unit or adjacent units. Just replacing dry wall, flooring and kitchen cabinets is not getting to the root of the problem that may reoccur. Mold is toxic. There needs to be an inspection on why the appliances are not working. That maybe an electrical problem in the unit or complex. Lastly, what is the problem around problem around the house. I would suggest having individual inspections (mold, electrical and complex foundation) so each item is addressed. Buyer will have full disclosure on items repair/replacement. There is a reason that this unit is $30k cheaper than other units in complex.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
310.853.9933
Congrat! It sounds that you are getting a good deal. You should get a mold inspection besides other inspections and pertinent matters about buying this condo. And follow up with their advises about it and direct them to the seller to take care of or to credit you for it.

HI There,
if you see the mold in the area with humidity, it means that there was not enough ventilation in the first place, so replacing is good but the mold will reoccur if the ventilation is not adequate. Under kitchen sink is moldy probably because of leak of water, and condensation for the AC closet. So before you fix the mold, try to see what the cause is so that is does not happen again.
For the rest , I think you got enough opinions in the other responses.
Give me thumbs up if this is useful to you!

Muriel Levin, Broker - Realtor
HAFA certified,Certified Negotiator, Short Sale and Foreclosure Resources Specialist. Residence, income properties and commercial leases.
Votre agence immobilière de confiance sur Los Angeles et toute la région de la Californie du Sud
Agent Immobilier Francophone a Los Angeles, Hollywood,Santa Monica and Beverly Hills . Achat et Ventes immobilières a votre portée, de loin ou de près.

323 363-91-40
Muriel Levin @ gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.muriellevin.com
Yes...get a mold inspection. Do a baseline spore test before the work is done and then another one after the work is completed. They will need to gut the affected areas and treat them with chemicals. Consult with a company that specializes in mold removal and remediation.

Mold can be a tricky thing.

I would absolutely get a mold inspection. You should discuss this with your realtor.
Susan@SusanBour.com
If I were your Buyer Agent, I would recommend you hire a inspection company that can property address mold and outline strategies for removing it. They are licensed for this type of work and can give you the best answer. Yes, you should know the full extent of the "mold issue" before you move forward. Yes, absolutely get an inspection.
Congrats on your purchase! Replacing it should be good. Make sure that all the areas are replaced properly. I don't think there will be much help getting a mold report done as "mold" is everywhere and will inevitably come up in any report. We live with mold in our daily lives and just don't notice it. If you want, I can refer you to AAA Inspection Group who also does the lowest cost mold reports that I know, but they too will probably not recommend a mold inspection.

__________________________
Caroline Harabedian
RE-Search Concept
8700 Reseda Blvd., Suite 213-B
Northridge, California 91324
(818) 967-9626 mobile
(818) 979-0226 fax
http://www.HomesByCaroline.net
caroline.wcli@gmail.com