Question Details

stan_wilsono…, Home Buyer in Tallahassee, FL

Question about FSBO and buyer's agent.

Asked by stan_wilsonosu, Tallahassee, FL Sat Mar 23, 2013

For the past month I have been working with a buyer’s agent who I really like. I have never signed any contract or agreement with him. Last night a house showed up on Craigslist that has everything I'm looking for. Similar houses have been getting offers and selling very quickly. In order to act quickly, and make sure the Craigslist posting was legit, I contacted the seller and set up an appointment to view the house tomorrow. Assuming the pictures are representative and there are no major flaws, the price for the house is very good so if I really like it I have no problem paying the asking price. My question is, do I get my buyer’s agent involved? On the one hand I’ve never bought a house before so it would be nice having someone make sure all my bases are covered. At the same time, if having the agent would cost me 3% more (~$6000) I’d rather just spend my time researching and learning what I need to and do stuff myself. I'd feel bad for the agent, but not $6000 worth of bad.

Answers

2
I understand wanting to save money. But in the end if you made a mistake it could cost you a heck of a lot more than $6000.
It is always a good idea to have a professional that can help you through the transaction. Buying a home is one of the biggest purchases someone will make in their lifetime so wouldnt you want to make sure that it is handled properly. In the end it is worth the extra money to make sure your interests are protected by letting a professional help you with the transaction.