homebuyer123, Both Buyer and Seller in Simi Valley, CA

Question about Big Sky HOA

Asked by homebuyer123, Simi Valley, CA Tue Apr 10, 2012

I'm interested in purchasing a home in the Big Sky area in Simi Valley. The current HOA there is $221. Do you guys know for how long the HOA there has been $221? How often does it increase?

Answers

5
Recently the homeowners fees were decreased by a vote of the board to 199.50.
Give GM Management a try at 40 W. Easy St. Ste I, Simi Valley. 805-526-0303. This is the management company for Big Sky. You should get a solid answer from them. Also, if you are on Facebook, look up Big Sky Community Simi Valley. Homeowners linked to the page should be able to answer some other questions you may have. Hope this helps!!
The HOA is Big Sky was probably a bit higher when these homes were first sold by the 3 developers (Shea Homes, Standard Pacific & D.R Horton) and I do believe HOA was a bit higher. The HOA has not increased by much over the years. There are many different HOA in this master planned community and HOA are run by different management companies. Most of the HOA monies go towards the greenbelt areas. The Big Sky Community has been hit hard by short sales & foreclosures and the prices in Big Sky have come down significantly from the height of the market (2006).
The HOA was planned and intended for when the builder made the plan. The fees have been the same for quite some time, althougth the prior answer by Jeff was very well articulated with regard to fees in general. I'm showing homes in Big Sky tomorrow and one of the questions my buyers typically ask me is why the fees are so high for Big Sky. For a single family home, they are kind of high since there are no common areas specific to the neighborhood, like a pool or club house or tennis courts like you see in some other areas. So, it's a little tough for some people to accept, in comparison to homes in other areas. But it is what it is and obviously not a big deterrent, Big Sky is a well loved neighborhood.
HOA dues will be based on the total cost to maintain the common areas, insurance coverages, reserves, etc. Typically the association will budget a 3% annual increase. However if a reserve study is done and reserves are found to be below what is needed a larger increase may be warranted. Or if there is a large expenditure and not enough funds in the reserve and or operating accounts owners may have to pay a one time assesment to cover the cost. The HOA is run by the owners, who elects a board. The board decides what the budget should be and the association manager implements those decisions. If you can get a copy of the budget, etc you can see how the HOA looks financially. They are required to do a reserve study every three years. Reserves are used to make sure the HOA has enough funds to cover future replacements such as fencing, landscaping, roofs, paint etc. If you need more insight please email me directly at jeff@presidiorealestategroup.com