Home Buying in Roswell>Question Details

Danw, Home Buyer in Roswell, GA

Question 1: When is a good time to look for a home in GA? Question 2: How long should we wait before the closing to look for a home?

Asked by Danw, Roswell, GA Mon Apr 9, 2012

I am in the process of transfering to the Dunwoody Area from Illinois (same company), our agent here is saying a couple is going to make an offer on our house this week. If we get a good offer and set a closing date, then we would have to get to the Atlanta area and find a home as well as try to coordinate a move. We are looking in the Roswell area. I don't really want to go over the $225K mark, we would be looking at purchashing it or at a minimum taking out a small mortgage.

Answers

10
and congratulations on your offer! : )
Hi Dawn,

The same way those homebuyers put a contingency upon the sell of their current home,
you can put the same contingency on an offer you put to purchase a home here in Ga.

Ask your current Realtor in Illinois to give you an update on the market trends there so you
can see how fast homes are selling in that specific area.

Since no one knows how soon or how long
it may take those people to close on their own home, i would suggest to start looking at homes in Ga now to at least take into consideration some homes you may be interested in so by the time your home does sell, you are not waiting till the last minute to jump in the race of time with the rest of the spring time buyers as the market here is picking up around this time and there are alot of buyers you may be in competition with.

So remember you can always submit an offer with it being contingent upon the sale of your current home.

Laquita Baez
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metrobrokers
770-901-0956
http://www.LaquitaBaez.com
Thanks for your answers, we did get an offer today but its contingent on them selling their home first. So, I should wait until they find a buyer or another non-contingent offer comes in before seriously looking in GA.. right?
Dawn,
Congratulations on the possible offer. When is a good time to seek a home in Georgia...? NOW! Do not wait. This is the time you'll want to spring into action. Even if this offer does not work out. At least you can become similar with the area, the commutes, schools and communities.
Moving is an involved process. Long distance moves at the least can be very overwhelming. Having a team of realty professional who specialize in relocation services can provide you with the resources to make a smooth transition for you and your family. We understand and strive to simplify the process from being to end.

Robin Lanese
Robin@AtlantaHousingSource.com
Atlanta Housing Source Team
Solid Source Realty
678-231-1412
Now is a terrific time to start looking, and as inventory increases over the next three to four months, purchasing real estate will become a very popular thing to do this year.

Roswell is a fantastic city - call Julie Brittain if you want to meet her for lunch at Bistro VG, and if you want to work with someone who sells a lot of houses in Roswell.

If you are trying to coordinate the timing of a sale and a move and a purchase, then give yourself two-three weeks after the Illinois sale to get into Roswell at a temporary residence. Go look at twenty or thirty houses with an agent and at open houses on weekends - narrow the neighborhoods (you've already done that with your $225K max). Select the best of breed and buy it. Go west to Woodstock, and northwest to Canton for more in your range.

Make a deal on a move in ready house with the intention of closing in 30-40 days after that.

Please note - the Roswell Chicken Man's house will not be coming up for sale soon - see the web reference...
Dear DanW,

There are many scenarios that could take place between now and the time that you sell your home. There would need to be more clarification before anyone could start to say for sure when you should start to look for a home. Such questions as , do you need to sell to purchase? do you need to live in a particular school district? Will you be working from home and where is your new office located? are just a few of many that come to mind. Because of the areas where you would like to live are very vibrant and sought after (especially Roswell) timing is everything. It would be extremely disappointing to find that perfect home and find that you have started too soon.

I would suggest an official buyers consultation with an experienced agent for your first step. There are Georgia Laws that require that you understand how our buyers agency relationship’s work and how your realtor is required to protect and represent you during the negotiations.

I have worked in the Dunwoody Roswell area since 1988 and I have lived in this area since 1998. It is a great place to live and I would be happy to help you with any specific questions you may have.

Hoping your offer works out with a quick and easy process.

Diane C Gray

Associate Broker, CDPE

Keller Williams Realty Consultants

Residential, Commercial

Direct: 678-851-4166

Office: 678-287-4800 ext. 5772

Fax: 404-393-0606

DianeCGray.com

"Filling in the Gray Areas of your Real Estate Needs"
Hi Dan,

I live, work and play in Roswell. Love this area myself. MY office happens to be in Dunwoody on Ashford Dunwoody, in the heart of everything. The commute from Roswell to Dunwoody is a nice and easy one. But I would recommend trying the commute during morning rush hour to make sure you are comfortable with the drive. HWY 92 for example (exit 7) is very slow getting to 400. But we also have some great schools in North Fulton, so the drive is worth it for some.
You will have a great selection to choose from here in Roswell. I would recommend asking your local realtor to set up an automated search based on your criteria (4 bed, 2.5 bath, basement in a swim tennis, etc..) with your price point and even schools if that is something you are basing your move on. Once you start seeing things you like, it depends if you are looking for a fixer upper or a turn key move in ready home. I can tell you that all though prices may seem like they are still low, here in Roswell we are experiencing what they call a balanced market: we have 6 months or less worth of inventory on the market to work through (if no other listings come on the market). This is considered a very healthy and thriving market. We are there right now! And the homes that are in really great move in condition are getting under contract in the first week they are on the market! And going for full price! So I would recommend narrowing down the area, schools or part of Roswell you are wanting to move to. Setting up this automated email search and tagging your "favorites". Then as soon as you come to Atlanta for a visit, (once your home is under contract and maybe even in the inspection/due diligence period) make a trip to Atlanta and start house hunting. Most sellers here won't accept an offer with a contingency to sell your home right now. It must be under contract to do so. I'd also recommend you get your lender to give your local realtor your buyers pre approval letter because this is going to be a requirement for any offer you submit too. Have your listing agent type up a report on your home that she/he can provide your local Atlanta agent showing the offer you have is good, solid, buyer's are pre approved, it's gone through inspections and underwriting, etc... and the normal days on market for your subdivision is X days and it's been X days so you are on target for a smooth closing with a date of X, allowing you all to close on your new home by X date... I would recommend you put down a higher earnest money on the house here just to show your motivation and that you are serious.

I would love to talk with you if you have specific questions. If you don't have a realtor you are working with on your search and relocation to Atlanta, I'd love to interview for that job. I am an accredited relocation specialist for both buyers and sellers and work for a local company, Harry Norman, Realtors that's been among Atlanta's top brands. We are owned by a Warren Buffet company Home Services of America so we have a large global network, but are operating locally! We are always among the top real estate companies in metro atlanta!

I'd love to show you around and help make this move the best move you ever made!

Thank you and please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your day a little better,

tania

tania gardère macleod ARS, CDPE, Realtor ®
Harry Norman, REALTORS
C 404-964-2267
F 404-497-5368
E tania.macleod@harrynorman.com
http://www.itstheperfectspot.com
CDPE, Certified Distress Property Expert
I live in Roswell and absolutely LOVE it!! Please let me know if you have any questions about the area or schools and such.

As far as closing a home goes, I would say that 45 days is a better timeframe.

Good luck with your offer!!

Julie
404-966-3328
Based on the info you gave, you may want to start looking for a home now if you do not want too much of a gap in between the sale of your current house and moving into a new home here in Ga.
You can start browsing the internet for available homes in the Dunwoody area and contact a Realtor to assist you with your transition from Illinois. I would like to assist you further. You can see all homes for sale in Dunwoody directly from my website below....

Laquita Baez
Direct: 770-901-0956
Email: findurhome@laquitabaez.com
Web Reference: http://www.LaquitaBaez.com
Dan: You could conceivably close on a house in 30 days once you find one you like if the property is not a short sale or one that requires a reno-loan. Likewise, once you have a good offer on your home in Illinois, you could close in 30 days. I would begin looking now to find the home you would like to move to when you transfer.

Roswell is a great area to move to. Feel free to review homes for sale in your price range in the Roswell area on my website (link below). You can also research the area and what it has to offer by clicking on the "community" tab on my website as well. There is a lot of valuable information about the area under that tab.

Let me know if I can assist you in your relocation plans.