tonidimenna, Home Buyer in Alva, FL

Punta gorda - burnt store lakes area or sw cape coral? We are looking to build a custom home and really struggling between the two locations- help

Asked by tonidimenna, Alva, FL Sat Sep 8, 2012

Answers

16
Burnt Store Lakes has a homeowner association fee and deed restrictions. Here is the web link: http://www.bslpoa.org/

I would visit both areas and see what they have to offer and how close the amenities that you are interested in are to where you want to build. Are you retired or do you need to obtain employment? If you are working, the driving distance to work might make a difference too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 27, 2014
I would go with Punta Gorda and/or Burnt Store Lakes area,... more towards Punta Gorda. I would look into all the fees, restrictions, crime rate, schools, & rules and regulations in each town to see if that is where you really want to build your home and I'm sure after you have done that search there will be a clear cut answer. I actually have an in- house builder and a relationship with 3 of the top builders in the area. Give me a call if you wish to get more information on building the right home in the right area.

Stas Matias

Erin Catron & Company
223 Taylor St
Punta Gorda, FL 33950

(941) 209- 1561
Stas@ErinCatron.com
Stas.PuntaGordaRealEstateSearch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I love Burnt Store Lakes. I will be relocating there as soon as I retire (3 years).
Punta Gorda Burnt Store lakes area is your better pick. The area is very nice and sw cape coral is having a few problems.
I have a beautiful water front lot for sale in this area for $89,800.
Please call 954-557-5993 if you are interested.
Hi. I have listed and sold several homes in both areas on the last 6 months. I agree City water is a key element. Still homes in the Cape Coral section of Burnt Store, sold faster than the ones in Punta Gorda. The reason is the schools and jobs are closer on the Cape Coral section.
Follow up. Good morning Tony. So where are you finally going to start building?
Flag Thu Nov 8, 2012
Call me toll free. I can explain my view and why I Picked this area. I think you'll Agree.
Thanks!
877-75hoyle
941-235-3528
I am not familiar with Cape Coral, but I do know Burnt Store Lakes very well. It is a deed restricted community with city water and city sewer, which is a big plus. There are lovely homes in the Lakes. The HOA maintains the common areas and keeps them well mowed. I have several customers who have built homes or bought exisiting homes. If you have been here then you know it is located right next to Burnt Store marina which has the second largest deep draft marina in Florida on the gulf. The marina also has 5 star and casual dining. If you are planning on coming here I would like the opportunity on taking you on a tour of Punta Gorda. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need more information. Beverly @Coldwell Banker Morris Realty
If you like the area (Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda) I'd check that out the most. They offer quick access to everything, have allot to offer without as much traffic.
My daughter lived there and I took her to the airport (RSW Ft. Myers) and it took longer to drive across town than it did from Punta Gorda. (Approx. 45 minutes)
I like the harbor and the vegitation and nature too. Fishing is world-class.
I have a good connectiion for the Cape however if you wish to build in my area, let me know.
I can help.
Take Care!

Bill Hoyle
AARE CAI
26 Years Experience

The According To Hoyle Group

http://www.homespuntagorda.com
info@accordingtohoyle.com
941-235-3529
25166 E. Marion Ave.
Punta Gorda, FL 33950
Trust you know both areas well. I prefer Burnt Store Lakes, not too far from Cape Coral anyway. Some areas in Cape Coral do have city water, but area you want to built in will have to be checked out. Burnt Store Lakes is a Deed Restricted community.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Pammaloni - Most of SW Cape Coral is on city water now!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
I faced the same dilemma back in 2010. The deal breaker for me is that the Cape Coral area is NOT on city water and there has been ongoing debates regarding how to assess and transition this very populated area to city water. I would recommend researching the cape coral city politics to gain a perspective on how "community focused" they are. For me, an extra 10 minute drive to get to the cape coral shopping and dining was worth it. Also, Charlotte county has lower property taxes than Lee county. I decided to choose Burnt Store Lakes. If schools are important, Punta Gorda was rated as one of the top in the state of Florida at one time. I have lived and worked in both Charlotte and Lee counties over the past 15 years. If you enjoy the rural feel of Alva, then Burnt Store Lakes may be more appealing, It definitely has an easier access to shopping and community services compared to Alva while maintaining a somewhat rural identity.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Thank you for your response, it is really the conclusion that we have come to but we really struggled with it as my husband is working as a teacher out in Lehigh, it will add a little time to his drive. We are working with an agent in Punta Gorda already or I would contact you for additional assistance. I believe we will be making an offer on a lot today, probably a little lower than they will want so we have a couple of backup properties as well. All in Burnt Store Lakes. How do you like the neighborhood out there? We would be really interested in hearing. Thank you
Flag Sun Sep 9, 2012
I would really look at what is important to you and your lifestyle. Punta Gorda and Burnt Store lakes are much more rural areas. Cape Coral has the small town feel with large city amenities not far away. Cape Coral is also rated one of the safest cities in Florida. I live and work in the Cape and love it. I'm also very glad I lived here and not in Punta Gorda when Charlie the hurricane hit in 2004. We were very fortunate to have our barrier Islands of Sanibel and Captiva limit the hit to us. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

Have a great day,
Nancy
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Nancy this is a bit of this subject but I lived in Naples 10 yrs then moved to Denver. I am moving back to Fl asap because of family. I want to be near my family in Naples but rentals are sky high. I dont really like CC to live because we have a semi tractor trailer and we cant park it there nor I want driver to suffer having to pay tolls in and out all day. Any feed back on rentals in Punta Gorda close to 41 and burnt store? I heard there is an industrial area close by that we can park our truck over night. I am looking for a 3/2 under $1500. If you can email listings to me that be great. Thank you
Mary
jmgtruckingllc@yahoo.com
Flag Sat Nov 1, 2014
How to choose the right neighborhood
One of the most important things to determine in buying a home is location, location, location. How do you know what neighborhood is right for you? Here is a list that might help you.

1. Would you enjoy living there?
2. How far of a commute is it from work, school, shopping, hospitals, restaurants, parks, entertainment and transportation? Take a test drive.
3. Drive through the neighborhood to get an idea of what it is like. You may want to go at different times throughout the day. What is the noise and traffic level?
4. Does the neighborhood have curb appeal? It is well maintained? Does it have nice landscaping?
5. Does the neighborhood fit in with your demographics? Are you looking for a family friendly neighborhood, a deed restricted neighborhood, a 55 and older retirement neighborhood, or a high or low income neighborhood?
6. Price makes all the difference. Do some research to find out the price range of the neighborhoods so that you can eliminate ones that do not fit within your budget.
7. Check to see what the neighborhood crime statistics are. Look around for graffiti or other signs of criminal activity. Check with local police or check the police blotter in the local newspaper. You want to live in a safe neighborhood.
8. Be aware of any new construction or zoning laws that may be in the neighborhood.
9. If you are choosing a deed restricted community with a homeowner association, find out what the fees and rules and regulations are?

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Green Lion Realty, Punta Gorda, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Since you're torn between the two areas, I'll assume you know both well. The key questions you'll need to ask yourselves are three: 1) Do we want to live in a we'll developed area with homes close to us and with "downtown" conveniences located within a few minute's drive? Or do we want to live in a more "relaxed" area a little further from the downtown features? 2) Do we want to have boating as an everyday feature of our lives, with the boat right here at home? Or would we be just as happy not looking at the boat but having it close by? The SW Cape offers the potential for a Gulf access home where Burnt Store Lakes does not. Although the Lakes does have the marina and golf course of Burnt Store Marina within a couple of minutes. 3) Do we want our lives to center on the City of Cape Coral or the City of Punta Gorda? As I'm sure you know they are very different both in terms of size and ambiance. I live in Burnt Store Marina and as a Realor I work throughtout Cape Coral and Punta Gorda. If I can help you sort out the the pros and cons, or help you identify lots or builders, feel free to contact me directly.

You may also want to consider looking at existing homes. With the costs of impact fees, building permits, utility hook-ups and so on, you may very well find that the cost of buying an existing home and renovating it to your exact tastes will be less than a new one. Many before you have decided to go that route. I hope this helps. -Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson's Team You 1st
239-745-5070
AlanJ@KW.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I have lived in Cape Coral for over 24 years. We have great schools and we are also rated as one of the safest cities in Florida to live in. Prices are low here right now on both existing homes and new construction. Call me if you have specific questions about the area and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Terry McCarley, Jones & Co Realty
Email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
Phone: 239-707-4575
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012