Home Buying in Portsmouth>Question Details

Sam, Home Buyer in Portsmouth, NH

Public road access from subdivision

Asked by Sam, Portsmouth, NH Mon Jul 1, 2013

We are interested in a house which is located in 9 house subdivision. There is an access road ( from within subdivision ) to a public fishing pond which is open pretty much all around the year. It fits a single vehicle and there is 3 car parking lot next to the pond. The access road is also used as a walking trail to the pond. The access road is right next to the house we are interested in. Wondering what are the pros/cons of this access road being through the subdivision ?

Thanks in advance

Answers

5
Hello Sam, My name is Tom. I am a NH Realtor, and a fisherman. A public access road through a subdivision to a fishing pond would be an asset to me but perhaps to you it may not be. I would first want to know how much fishing traffic comes through on average. Any existing neighbors you can ask? Although consulting a real estate attorney would be beneficial, you can research the NH laws on your own regarding access roads for free. I would be happy to help you if further questions or concerns exist. Tom
You should have your buyer agent check the deed for rights of way or any easements. It will be great if you want easy access but may be a busy and noisy area if a lot of people are using it. You have to weigh what you like against what could be having people coming and going.
Also Sam consider that any time a recreational body of water is involved there are, in most cases an advantage for resale. Considering this my question is do you plan to live in this property or is it for investment purposes? Portsmouth is a very desirable area and as a rental it could be a successful where by you could advertise freshwater as well as nearby saltwater fishing opportunities, Just trying to look at the glass half full. Hope this helps. Tom
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for showing the other angle of this situation. I am planning to live there It appears (or atleast i was told) that not many people do fishing over there as the pond doesn't appear to be that big has that many fish. I am not sure if i should be worried about the security.
Flag Tue Jul 2, 2013
Sam, on a simpler note, I wouldn't jump into incurring attorney's fees at this stage. Hire an experienced agent as your Buyer's agent who will review the deed, subdivision covenants and by-laws first. Perhaps a legal opinion would be warranted as a step 2 if the documents don't clearly specify the details. We have access to the documents that will likely answer your questions. Additionally, the agent may already know some of the information on the use, or could talk to a few of the neighbors to get an idea of how busy the water access tends to be. A little due diligence can usually answer the questions. Sue
I suggest that you consult with an Attorney who handles residential real estate matters. There are a number of issues with the access road that you need to address with your Attorney before you purchase the home.