Hal, Home Buyer in Lansdale, PA

Property taxes for Downingtown Area?

Asked by Hal, Lansdale, PA Fri Apr 11, 2008

One home I was interested in had an annual tax bill of almost 6 Grand.

1. Is that usual for the area?

2. And if I feel there's been an error, could I appeal the assessment?

Answers

9
how do I change the mailing address for RE taxes in
Downingtown borough
I will pull public record to see comparisons for similar property, maybe it has never been appealed? Call me today 610-363-7140.
It's a good life,
Michele
Dea Hal,
This is my market area, give me a call and I will pull public record, just have the address ready. 610-363-7140
It's a good Life,
Michele
Yes, depending on how big the home is and the lot size. I personally have taxes of 7,600 per year in Downingtown. Yes, you can normally appeal the assessment- it is especially worthwhile on newer homes especially if the assessment has never been appealed. We bought brand new and our taxes were originally close to 10,000 dollars- we appealed and got them reduced... you can usually only do it once a year- there is a form you fill out then go to West Chester once you get the date to appeal. Check out the website for Chester County for the latest info.
Web Reference: http://www.chesco.org
check out the homes listed for around 500K.. Taxes will be around 10K.
So you are lucky to only pay around 6K.
Key thing to do is look at the assessment. If the home was purchased as new, the assessment should be about 51% or the sales price. If it is higher than that, you should be able to secessfully appeal the taxes (nearly automatic). It takes $25 and a 30 minute hearing.

You can still appeal assessments on ANY property if you can show the board that your home is over-assessed. They use a figure called a common level ratio which gives the proportion of marke value that assessments are derived from. They may ask you to obtain an appraisal from a certified appraiser. Assessments must be appealed by September for the upcoming year. Bear in mind you cannot appeal the taxes - you appeal the amount of the assessment.
The taxes are high for the area. I think due to the enormous amount of children now cramming into the Downingtown School District.
Hal,
Chris from the Cindy Dickerman Team with Keller Williams again. John is absolutely right $6k is on the high side. If you do buy new construction, there is a certain time period every year that you are able to appeal the taxes.
Here is a link that give you more information:
http://dsf.chesco.org/chesco/cwp/view.asp?a=1413&q=573702
Hal,

I see you were asking about new construction in your prior post. I wouldn't call the number "typical" as you say, but yes it could conceivably be $6K depending on the assessment of the property. New construction does tend to be higher than resales initially.

Yes, you can appeal your tax assessment. It's a fairly easy process.
Web Reference: http://www.JohnLauber.com