Home Buying in Pearl City>Question Details

Prambo, Home Buyer in Pearl City, HI

Property not purchased as agreed

Asked by Prambo, Pearl City, HI Fri Jul 19, 2013

A power of attorney and cash for the down payment was given to daughter-in-law to purchase poperty in my name. She was to live there paying the mortgage, and live with the children and husband when he retired from military. It was not done, instead she pruchased the property in her name and left me out completely. What recourse do I have?

Help the community by answering this question:


You need an attorney.

Unless there's written documentation supporting your allegation, though, it'll be your word against hers. She'll probably claim that it was a gift to her and her husband. Can you prove differently?

However, something doesn't smell right about this. I don't understand why you did all that--give her cash and a power of attorney. Why not buy the house yourself and be her landlord? Why do all that if the property was to be bought in YOUR name? In that case, just hire a lawyer to do it.

And who drew up the power of attorney? If it was broader than was intended, you might have some recourse against either the attorney or the settlement company.

But this is a real mess. You definitely need an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 19, 2013
The property is in Pearl City, Hawaii and I live in Atlanta, Ga. Yhe power of attorney is very explicit, and I have documentation of the money sent to her. I did not want her to have to move around so much while my son was deployed and felt that a permanent place would be best for them. I had no idea that she would fail to do so. I cannot afford to hire an attorney at this time.
Flag Fri Jul 19, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
This is a legal question, therefore I recommend you hire an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 19, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer