Home Buying in Orange>Question Details

Kay, Home Owner in Orange, NJ

Property Tax Appeal Questions

Asked by Kay, Orange, NJ Tue Dec 4, 2012

Closed on a property roughly 2 and a half months ago in orange NJ (Essex county). Current taxes are very high and assessed on a value of roughly 360k for a tax bill of almost 12k (very painful tax rates :-) )The valuation/appraisal by my lender came in at 200k. So, by that appraisal I qualify for some form of property tax relief (if my assumptions are right). the comparables used as well also came out with higher values but the taxes assessed are way below what I owe. Question is, is this something I can do on my own? How long does process take? how many times do i expect to meet with the 'powers that be'? etc etc. In asking around, I am realizing that lawyer fees could be up to a third of the savings and being a homeowner with two kids, for me, that could go a long way to help with the bills. I have also heard some lawyers charge by the hour as well ? Anyone with reviews on using Trulia's Tax Appeal? or anyone knows any lawyers with 'reasonable fees'? All comments welcome

Answers

3
Hello, I am currently in the process of purchasing a home in Orange NJ with an $18,000 tax bill. Was your tax appeal successful? What was the process like? And did you use an attorney?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 26, 2014
Hi Kay

yes you can appeal on your own. usually you will need comparable sales along with your own. Ask your realtor to get you some comparable. This appeal is usually only availlble from Jan- April check with your local tax dept for more details

There are some attorneys that charge a flat fee of $500. let me know if you would like me to recommend one.
can you recommend an attorney to possibly use for my tax appeals?

Flag Wed Jan 2, 2013
If your home in Orange was a short sale or bankowned sale, you won't be able to use that as a comparable. Check out this link on Little Egg Harbor NJ tax appeals. While this is geared toward Little Egg Harbor Tax appeals, the tax appeal process in NJ is the same for all towns with few exceptions.