Home Buying in Brookfield>Question Details

Kris, Home Buyer in Brookfield, WI

Pricing in Elmbook school district

Asked by Kris, Brookfield, WI Wed Apr 20, 2011

We'd like to move to the Elmbrook school district. Am I realistically going to find anything $250,000 or under? We definately need 2ba, 2 car grg. 4bd would be nice but 3bd and any type of officey bonus space would work. Looking at some of the photos online many need quite a bit of work (which we're willing to do as long as it's not a roof or anything like that), plus I have this thing about not paying PMI so the downpayment is always the decisive factor for us. We do not need to be central to anything, just in the school district (and not in a flood plain or anything). I get the feeling houses are still priced above that level.

What would probably be helpful is to connect with a Realtor that you are comfortable working with (if you haven't already). Give the agent your search criteria, Schoold district,price range, rooms, etc.. they can set you up with an MLS search and a Portal, where you will get emails with all the matching listings that you can review, see online photos, etc. The Portal allows you to make notes, and decide if the properties are a possibility to see or research further or to "discard".
No charge to you and it gives you immediate on-going access to any new listings or homes that have had price reductions.
Some homes selling close to asking but others not. It really is dependent on how realistically the home is priced - and what Buyer's feel the true value is

All the Best!
Karen Wenzel
Web Reference: Http://GoPackerUp.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 20, 2011
Hi Kris....

Kudos to my fellow realtors that have responded to your questions so thoroughly and quickly.

There will be homes for you in the price range you are looking for and with a minimum 3/4 bedroom, 2 baths and a 2 car garage. I happen to have a Great Ranch home listed at 2965 N. 124th Street in Brookfield for an investment of $195,000. The Multiple Listing # is 1188413. Nothing to do with this home other than move in. Elmbrook Schools as well. My office is located in Brookfield and we are very active in Listing Many Properties in Brookfield.

Also Alabama is a great state. My parents live in Lillian,Al that is just on the other side of the bridge from Pensacola,FL.
Hi Kris,

I did a search and found 32 homes that fit your criteria. The school district is Elmbrook , which includes the village of Elm Grove as well as the Town and City of Brookfield.

Avoiding PMI is basically being able to afford a 20% down payment. If you have a down payment $50,000.00 you can afford a mortgage of $150,000.00 on a $250,000.00 home. If you have not yet consulted with a loan officer I would suggest you do so asap. Having a loan pre-approval will simplify the process and encourage a real estate agent to commit to finding you what you are looking for .

Please check out my website @ jsuchorski.firstweber.com I would be happy to work with you towards finding just what you are looking for but would need to ask a lot of questions to determine your specific needs and wants as well .

Sincerely, John
Hi Kris,

Wow. You are moving here from Alabama! Great. As I said earlier, I can send to you the homes that are available and also set you up so that you continue to receive all the homes that fit your criteria as they come on the market. And if you have any detailed questions, you would have my contact information to further assist you.

Would like to help you. If you hover over my picture and click on contact, you will see my contact information there. I look forward to hearing from you.

By the way, now is not too early to begin looking even if it is via email. That way, when you are ready to make your move, you will have a really good handle on what is available in your price range.

Wow quick answers! Thank you! We're finishing up the school year in our current home (we're all the way down in AL) so I guess we've got a few months to play with here. I figured it'd probably in the older ranch category, but as I said, I don't mind doing cosmetic things inside, a little paint works wonders. Thanks for all the information. It's just very hard to search for homes by school district online so some professional opinions really help with the prep work here. Have you found that houses are still selling quite close to asking price?

I just sold a 3bd, 2.5 ba, 2.5 car garage, formal living room, family room, dining room, finished rec room, new roof and many updates for $220,000. There are quite a few homes that fit your criteria and I would be happy to send them to you if you are willing to share an email address.

I specialize in buyer agency and I can furnish references upon request.
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
As a local Brookfield agent for 12 years & whose office is also located in Brookfield I would have to agree with the other comments. Homes that fall below the $250K mark are typically Ranch style homes with less cosmetic updates. However, in an original owner situation you'll find the mechanicals are at times fairly updated. Elmbrook school district does expand to other areas on occasion such as pockets of New Berlin. The one benefit with looking in an area such as this is because the values have remaind steady, it ensures a good investment for the future. If you are not in a big hurry and have your financing pretty squared away I would encourage you to stick with it & the right 'deal' will come along!

Hopefully you're working with a Buyers Agent who is staying on top of the new activity, as the 'good deals' are going quick! Hope that helps! Good luck & if we can be of any assistance feel free to contact us!

I have located 55 homes within your price range. The only caveat is that not all of them have 2 baths. I started with one and a half bath. If you would like, I can narrow it down. Keep in mind, however, that sometimes the home will be plumbed for another bath, but never finished.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Take care,
Homes in Brookfield and Elm Grove (Elmbrook Schools) still tend to be selling in the $250,000+ range - especially if they have been updated. The desirablility of the area has kept home values more stable. That being said, you can occasionally find homes priced lower, if you are willing to do some cosmetic updates and may find a smaller home or one that needs updates to kitchens, baths, etc.
There are quite a few homes that have had the original owners and they may have been maintained, but just not "cosmetically" updated.
Let your Realtor know what you feel comfortable doing, I'm sure you will find something that will be a great home for your family.
All the Best to you!
Karen Wenzel
Realty Executives-Integrity
Web Reference: http://GoPackerUp.com
Hi Kris,

I have been working in the Brookfield area for the past two years. And, yes, there are homes in this price range. If you care to email me with your email address, I would be happy to send them to you.