Home Buying in Clinton>Question Details

Dom Kopo, Home Buyer in Clinton, CT

Price difference for being near the beach.

Asked by Dom Kopo, Clinton, CT Wed Nov 4, 2009

I am looking at two homes. Both are similar in number of bedrooms, baths, etc. but one is about 800 sq ft and the other is 600 sq ft. The 600 sq ft home is about two blocks from the beach whereas the 800 sq ft home is at least a mile plus away. What should the price difference be? I don't know if what to buy?

Answers

5
Hi Dom

I am an agent with Coldwell Banker in Old Lyme. I appreciate that you do not want to waste a Realtors time until you know if you want to buy or not. why not give me a call and I can go through with you the whole buying process from start to finish, this should help you in making a decision about buying, this will not cost you or I anything other than an hour of our time.

Please feel free to either email me or call me on my cell

Regards

Anne
Dom,

Unless you are talking about two identical properties, it is impossible to place a value difference on a property. There is no doubt that the home closest to the beach has greater desirability and therefore more value than one more than a mile away.

Generally speaking the property closer to the beach should command a higher value.....how much, is anyones guess!
It depends on the home and the features it has to offer. Is one part of an association? There are many questions that we can't answer without much more information than you are providing. You noted you do not have an agent representing you to date. That is very important for you to get the answers you need answered correctly. If you would like assistance in picking a realtor, let me know I am happy to help you as your agent or in picking an agent and questions you should ask.
There are no views, just location. Both homes are empty. Hardwood floors and no appliances. I dont have an agent yet because I am not sure if i am buying so I don't want anyone to spend time until I am sure. With the current market and all it wouldn't be right to spend time on someone who is not sure of buying. I figured this is a good forum to get some answers.
Do you have a realtor representing you in the purchase of the home? If so, they should be able to give you good comparable numbers for both homes. Every area is a little different based on ditance, view and other amenities, so it would be best to talk to a local expert in the area.