Home Buying in Dunwoody>Question Details

Happylily, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Power lines in Dunwoody. How to tell high voltage power line from regular one? Is this impact house resale?

Asked by Happylily, Atlanta, GA Tue Mar 9, 2010

I am looking at houses in Dunwoody area such as Tilly mill and Winter Chapel. I saw some power lines in this area. Few in MAYFAIR PARK neighborhood on winter chapel road. Are those high voltage power lines? Some power lines only 50 feet away from house and some are just next to backyard.

Answers

7
Julie Brittain - Top Agent’s answer
Happylily,

I, myself, would not ever purchase a home that backs up to power lines no matter how close they are. You are questioning, so why wouldn't any other Buyer? I'm always thinking resale.

Julie Brittain
JEZEBEL Magazine “Realtor of Distinction” 2006 & 2009
Top 5 Individual Residential Agent 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008 & 2009
Top 5% of Keller Williams Realty Agents Nationwide Since 1999
#1 Team 2004 - 2005, #1 Individual Agent 2001 – 2003
Keller Williams Realty First Atlanta
Mobile: 404.966.3328

http://www.TeamBrittain.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 9, 2010
From the perspective of both a Real Estate Broker and an ICC Certified Building Inspector - regardless of the real or perceived health consuquences of exposure to electromagnetic radiation - powerlines of all voltages are an eyesore! You not only dont want power lines near your property, you dont even want them in sight of your property, or it will suffer at resale time.

Remember the wise investor rule of thumb - you make your money when you buy - not when you sell. That means you have to buy right and it is so true - avoid the power lines!

There are too many great homes out there - see hundreds of great Dunwoody homes on my site.
If you think the powerliness would be an objection then they will be. No matter what evidence you show a potential buyer it is an objection that will cost money or a sale. Just Like Julie says 'always think resale.
Happylily,

You received some great info here...I agree with Julie on a personal level. On a professional level I will always recommend a lower list price for a home with power lines in the backyard sight line compared to other homes in the neighborhood without that issue. When you have power lines in view you are immediately limiting the number of prospective purchaser for your home when it comes time to resale.

Chuck Green, Realtor
770-714-7077
Transmission (High power) lines dont have a neutral and local distribution lines do. The neutral is a small single wire below the one, two or three phase wires. Also, transmission lines typically are on taller wood poles or metal poles, depending on the voltage.

Sometimes both may be on a pole and look confusing. If you see transformenrs connected to the wires then it is local distribution lines.

Transmission lines may run in back yards and local distribution lines run mostly along the front yards.

Mark Lackey
Associate Broker
EcoBroker
Atlanta Housing Source at
Solid Source Realty, Inc.
404-886-8789

http://www.AtlantaHousingSource.com
Ah the great debate over powerline dangers!

I agree with previous posts.

Regardless of the research facts it still bothers most buyers just like you and resale is tougher on these listings.
Julie is right.

This has come up before on Voices about Dunwoody - this questioner named "Ncr" was trying to buy a FSBO and he was dead set on buying next to power lines. See the web reference.

Dan Connolly gave a good general answer: "There is a`lot of research which proves that there is more electromagnetic radiation from a microwave or a TV set than the power lines. Also countless studies that prove no higher incidence of cancers etc. from the power lines. (Mainly funded by the power companies) Yet the public opinion that there is a danger persists, so that long term appreciation and the ease of selling your home in the future could be affected."

I made my point to this fellow, and it's the same as Julie's point.

Who cares if they are high voltage or not - avoid the stigma.