Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Kim, Home Buyer in Danville, CA

Potential appreciation Westside San Ramon vs.Windermere and Gale Ranch for house above $1M?

Asked by Kim, Danville, CA Fri Jul 12, 2013

Any inputs?

Answers

4
Hi Kim,

How long do you intend to live in the home? Will it be an investment or primary residence? If it's a purely a financial decision and not emotional, then you will have to go back to prior years to evaluate the appreciation because the number of homes sold is so few in this price range.

If it is your primary home and you intend to stay there for many years, then all 3 areas are viable for appreciation. Since they offer different things, I suggest you find the area and homes you love and then decide on a price that reflects it's current market value.

Using a experienced realtor is the key to guiding you toward a property that makes sense for you and your family.

Suzanne
Kim ... I am a numbers guy, but it sounds like you are attempting to use past appreciation to justify what your gut wants to do but you are having problems getting the answer you want. In this instance you have fine tuned your request to roughly 10% of the sales in san Ramon and the figures get very skewed by just a few sales. For instance in Westside San Ramon there were 5 sales over $1,000,000 for the 3 months ending on 7/12/12... there were 8 sales during the same period ending today... with a huge jump in the average ... created by 2 high priced listings that happened to sell. The dougherty valley has more sales and a more moderate increase. If you'd rather be in one location over the other and are looking for a reason, then let's look at the entire package and all the factors being considered.

if you would like to have that discussion with me feel free to make contact. If you have a Realtor already that you are happy with then have that discussion with him / her.
Kim,

RPM has a great footprint in this area. If you would like a referral for Realtors who could help answer this question, please let me know.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
As you've seen in all the answers from your previous questions like this, no one knows for sure. I'd recommend you sit down with a top-notch realtor who can pull all the numbers for you and help you make an educated decision.

Let me clarify something else as well - the people who buy a home because they love it regardless of where it is are usually much happier with their decision and their home than those who try to buy a home as a wise investment. It's the difference between buying a house with your head and buying with your heart. At the end of the day, buying a home isn't supposed to be about potential appreciation: it should be about quality of life, about having a roof over your head and being in love with both your home and your new neighborhood.

And, if you happen to get great appreciation as well, that's the icing on the cake ... not the cake itself.