Libby Russ, Both Buyer and Seller in Coto de Caza, CA

Possibly relocating to Greater LA area from Orange County and hoping someone can tell me difference b/w Topanga, Calabasas, Woodland Hills, etc.

Asked by Libby Russ, Coto de Caza, CA Wed Jan 27, 2010

Primarily school system, community and overall quality of life. Will be commuting to Santa Monica

Answers

4
Dear Mrs Libby,

If you live in Coto de Caza, Ladera Ranch, then Calabasas is more like it. Calabasas can be more expensive.

On the other hand, if you are commuting to Santa Monica then Topanga will be the closest.

Merlin Barrientos
Northridge, CA 91324
661 713-8780
Calabasas is considered more of an upscale area. Calabasas Park is closer to the Woodland Hills side and includes Old Town Calabasas which has restaurants, banks, smaller shopping centers and The Commons which is a outdoor shopping area with a movie theater, barnes and noble, ralphs, rite aid, restaurants, and shops. Good place for families. Their school system is Las Virgenes Unified Schools which are one of the best. Woodland Hills has some nice family neighborhoods. Schools are Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) and the best-known high school is El Camino Real where students have won the Academic Decathalon (national competition) for a number of years. In general, shopping and restaurants are close by. Single family homes can be found as low as early $400k's. Topanga is sort of an "out of the city" feeling and a smaller area. From Topanga, you could take Pacific Coast Hwy to Santa Monica. You may also take Pacific Coast Hwy from Calabasas or the 101S to 405S. Woodland Hills--you'd take the 101S to 405S to Santa Monica. I live in Woodland Hills near Calabasas myself.
Hello Libby: Congratulations on your upcoming move to the greater Los Angeles Area. I an a real estate broker who lives in Woodland Hills and serves Woodland Hills, Calabasas and Topanga. Richard is right regarding his general description of each area and it all depends on your price and community preference. Each area has condo as affordable as $250K and homes as high as several millions. I am sure this does not surprise you. Calabasas has more homes behind gated communities and it is more surburban with a excellent primary schools, a lovely shopping center, The Commons. Woodland Hills is a well established diverse community that appeals to all persons at all levels of spending, with excellent schools, many shops, restuarants, places of worship, etc. Topanga is a little more isolated and could appeal if you need some seclusion. You can easily commute to Santa Monica from any of these communities. If you like the quality of life in Orange county, the Calabasas may be closer. If you like Santa Monica or West LA, you will like Woodland Hills. Topanga is more "retreat-like". Feel free to call me at 818-825-6996 or visit my website to freely search for community information and homes that are available for sale. Go to http://www.BogunRealtyAndLuxuryHomes.com.
Libby,

The answer may depend on your price range. I'll give you a general overview, and feel free to contact me for a deeper look. Calabasas is generally a suburban area with newer homes, trending towards the higher end. Woodland Hills has a great selection of more moderately priced homes. Topanga is a more isolated community, but definitely appeals to people looking for a more relaxed way of life. Topanga is the closest, but all three are relatively close to Santa Monica.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Richard Schulman
Keller Williams Westside Realty
#1 Buyer's Agent Keller Williams Los Angeles
310-482-0173
schulmanrd@yahoo.com
http://www.RichardSchulman.com