Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Cassie Hannon, Home Buyer in Moore, OK

Possibly relocating for work to San Antonio Area. What are the most family friendly/ safe neighborhoods with best schools?

Asked by Cassie Hannon, Moore, OK Mon Feb 25, 2013

Answers

18
Christine Aldrete Banks’ answer
Tons of unbiased statistical data is available at http://www.city-data.com/. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have also. Contact me to discuss it further. Happy house hunting!
The best way to get good guidance it to find a Realtor in San Antonio who can help you find the best neighborhoods with the amenities you are looking for.

Below is list of Realtors in San Antonio.

All the best.
I live in a very safe area in North San Antonio and the school district has a high rating. I think the one thing that should be considered before moving to San Antonio and choosing your area IS: will where you live put you in a position to commute in unnecessary traffic and thus create stress and waste your disposable time causing you increased gas cost and more time away from your family needs?

For instance, if you work at Toyota on the southside, you wouldn't want to live on the northside. And, if you live on the southside, now you have school district concerns. What I am getting at here is: where you decide to live should be considered carefully in light of your career decision and/or your work location or secondary schooling.

BTW, one thing you might need to know is that some of the outlying areas that are nice/safe are presented by real estate agents as great places to live because you don't have city taxes, which are higher. Ok, but in our area, our taxes are almost just as high because we pay two county taxes: one in Bexar (pronounced "bear") for municipal services AND one in Comal for school attendance (where you have a child in that district or not). Combine them and they almost equal the city and county property taxes PLUS you cannot avoid HOA dues in the outlying areas.

San Antonio area is growing by leaps and bounds, literally. Also, there is a prevalent allergy here for many from what is called "mountain cedar". It will make you miserable for 6-12 weeks a year with the eye symptoms, if you happen to be in an area where it is featured, for lack of a better word!

We would like to sell our house this year after buying new in 2006 at 210k. The allergy has been tough and the taxes higher and the traffic worse than we anticipated.
Many of my relocation clients use greatschools.net. Call some of the local police stations of cities you might be interested in to ask questions. Realtors unfortunately have our hands tied, we can't "steer" people to any area. Another great place is to ask your new co-workers. Ask questions
As San Antonio's Real Estate professional and resident for most of my life... I would say the northwest side of San Antonio is the most desirable! Keep it outside of the loop 410!! Contact me if you want me to show you some nice homes in your price range 210-857-6942
The only problem with that question is... it's subjective. Everyone will always have an opinion that differs...

So.. the best way to see what you like is for me to send you all of the homes that fit what you are looking for. Save you a BUNCH of time and effort :)

For School and Crime Rate info:

http://www.greatschools.org/texas/san-antonio/
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/San-Anton…
http://www.schoolsk-12.com/texas/san-antonio/

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapd/CurrentCrimeStatistics.aspx
spotcrime.com/tx/san+antonio

Hope that is helpful :)

Give me a call, shoot me a text, or send me an e-mail...

Jason C Campbell
Platinum Top 50 Finalist
Option One Real Estate
210-389-5266
Web: http://www.SAHomeExpert.com
Hi Cassie

Hopefully, you received the information you need from the great agents on this site.

If you need help with your home loan, please contact me. I have 14 years experience in helping families finance their next home. I am familiar with all loan programs and property scenarios, FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Homepath, Short Sales, Bank Owned Foreclosures, etc. I’ll make sure you have all of the information you need to make an informed decision. Customer service and on time closing is top priority. Hope to hear from you soon.

Vino Alonzo, Loan Officer
NMLS# 184279
Castle & Cooke Mortgage
210-685-7642
valonzo@castlecooke.com
The answeres to your questions should be streamlined to fit your specific family needs. Convenience to work, schools, extracuricular activities and lifesyle are factors that will be considered. I will be happy to help you find the right fit in housing for your family.

Please contact me by email or phone so we can discuss the things that will make you happy in your move to San Antonio.

I have over 20 years in this industry and have relocated many families to this area.

Thanks for your interest!

Sue
It's hard to go wrong with any part of the city. So I guess that brings it down the other factors such as proximity to work and perhaps retail centers.

What age are your children? What field of work are you in? What price range would you prefer to stay in? Knowing these answers will definitely help to fine tune the search and help us find just the right spot together for you and your family.

Contact me anytime

Gregory Touchstone
210-660-2834
gregory.touchstone@gmail.com
Hi Cassie,

Congraulations!!! San Antonio is a great family home area with shool districts that reflect it... Buying a home is an exciting experience but can be challenging, it requires reflective thought, planning, and insight. That this is an important decision is not in question, and so it is that I am excited to be advising you on the sell of your home and the purchase of your next home.

I believe: "In giving advice, seek to help, not to please, your friend."- Solon (638 BC - 559 BC)
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to change or add to your criteria...
Rosie Kelch The Singing Realtor
24 Years of Real Estate Service with A Song
Hablo Y Canto en Espanol
210-846-3027 Mobile Text Friendly
thesingingrealtor@hotmail.com
24-7 Information Hotline 800-811-5759 ext 1111
800-371-2413 Fax
http://thesingingrealtor.vobre.com/

ICON Realty
You can find your next home at http://www.JoseSellsSanAntonio.com
It is free and up to date.
Good Luck
Jose L. Novelo
Royce has given you great info below. I was born and raised in SA and have lived on almost every side of town. When my Husband got orders back to the area we chose Schertz because of the great school district and the small town feel while still conveniently located to everything in San Antonio. We also have a lower tax rate/insurance rate on homes because we are located in Guadalupe or Comal Counties.

Something to consider but SA is a great place to live as well!!! :)

Tiffany Stephens
Simmonds Real Estate, Inc.
210.683.7318
San Antonio is a totally family friendly town, and hasn't lost its "small town" charm. As the Realtors on this site have already emphasized, proximity to your work would probably be reflected in the neighborhoods they would show you.

I have been a mortgage lender here since 1983, and would be pleased to discuss mortgage options with you. Most Realtors want to see a "prequalification" letter with any contracts, and we offer that service with no upfront charges.

Just follow the link below for more information, and welcome to San Antonio!

Barbara Coker
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
NMLS#228545
100% Home Loans All Over Texas!
Web Reference: http://www.thecokerteam.com
San Antonio is a great place to live, been here over 25 years. There are many great neighborhoods with great schools and I would be happy to share my opinions with you. Give me a call or send me an Email and I'll be happy to discuss you specific needs.
Hey welcome to San Antonio! You will find that there are great schools and family friendly neighborhoods all over the city. NEISD and NISD both have highly rated schools. I can recommend the website GREATSCHOOLS.com to help you determine what schools are best for your children.

I'd recommend finding a neighborhood that is easy to get to/from work as well as around the conveniences that you would prefer (church/shopping etc). Are you planning to come and visit first? That will help you FEEL the areas you are considering as well as get a head start on the relocation process. Let me know when you are coming, and I can prepare an itinerary to help you with your relocation to one of the best cities in Texas.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Brian M. Paris
210-445-8963
I would have to say the North West side is more friendly also I personally have been very happy with the elementary school my daughter goes to. The teacher to student ratio is low and the staff is awesome. If I can help you in any way please feel free to email me I would love to find you and your family a home. azua1923@netscape.com
Would be happy to assist you in your move to San Antonio, one thing that would help is the location that you will be employed as San Antonio is a large city these days with multiple highways throughout the city.....that would be the first question to help with a short as possible drive to work.

On the issue of safe neighborhoods and best schools, I would go directly to the San Antonio Police Department web site (Google) and you can take a look at the statistics for yourself, same with the schools, Google will also give you all the school districts along with ratings, teacher ratios and so forth.

Safe neighborhoods and good school districts are all in the eyes of the beholder so so speak.

Royce Simmonds, Broker-Owner, Simmonds Real Estate Inc.
(210) 269-8086 Direct Line
http://www.roycerealestate.com

36 Years Air Force Active Service (15 enlisted/21 officer)
There are a lot of family friendly neighborhoods in the area. It all depends on what part of town you'll be working at where we can run a search of homes for you. To see a little more on the schools in the area, you can always go to http://www.greatschools.org and find ratings for the schools in the area you're thinking about moving to.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance and we can guide you to make a great investment!

Ronnie Sanchez
210-409-9941
TeamTexasSA@Gmail.com