JxyJ, Home Buyer in Basking Ridge, NJ

Possible seller credit for a septic at closing?

Asked by JxyJ, Basking Ridge, NJ Mon Mar 4, 2013

1. Purchasing a house in Somerset County with a septic that failed. Mtg will be 30 yr fixed.
2. Both myself and the seller had a feeling this would happen, given the age of the system. The seller will remediate.

**My issue- septic can take 3 months to finish (permits, tests, design, installation etc.) and my rate lock will NOT last that long. Just trying to see if there is a way to close and have the seller give me a credit for the septic. This seems to be a sticking point as I understand that any credits need to appear on the HUD and the price of the septic will probably be 30-40k. Our attorneys are communicating, but I thought it was worth posting here since maybe someone had a similar issue and there is a solution that we haven't thought of.

Answers

4
I had a similar issue and the seller contacted and company for the service and paid for it themselves- the seller paid in advance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 4, 2013
Lenders will not allow you to close without a passed septic system. Many local municipalities will not allow the home to be sold without the septic passing. I do not know why it would take 3 months, I've seen them done in as little as 3-4 weeks. If a contractor who does the design and installation is hired, they can usually expedite the process. Hand delivering the plans for approval to the township officials also helps expedite.
Can you do a 203k loan? That might be the answer
Please check with your loan officer. I am not sure if the lender will allow you to close with a falied septic. Based on my experience, it has to be done prior to closing.

Best of Luck.

Maria