Julie Abels, Real Estate Pro in West Milford, NJ

Poll for today...Would you rather live in a modest home on the water, or in a large, modern home in a developmental cul-de-sac?

Asked by Julie Abels, West Milford, NJ Sun Feb 28, 2010

Answers

16
Modest home on the water!

Can you add - a winning lottery ticket?
I prefer both. Nice home in a development and a weekend getaway on the water. Too bad I will never see the weekend getaway as I work every weekend.
Water can create distance between neighbors and a sense of tranquility...count me in!
On the water, no question. I personally hate those developments where one house looks pretty much like all the others.
I will take the water all day every day
Modest home on the water.
I'd go with the modest home on the water as well. Frankly at this stage of my life, I'm leaning towards the modest home most anywhere ;-)

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 26, 2011
Modest home on the water any time. Location Location Location.
Web Reference: http://njlakehouse.com
My personal preference would be to live in a large, modern home inside a developmental cul-de-sac due to privacy with the cul-de-sac location. With today's weather uncertainty's living on the water is a little unnerving.
I would rather live in a modest home on the water, preferably clear so i can swim and water ski. That is my goal
modest does not actually translate to a shack...so the "water" woiuld win........would be best investment by "location", but depending on the conditions......is the water a lake?.......mosquitos.......flooding...........or is the water the ocean, then you take into consideration the foundation, etc...and proximity to the risk zones...
Real Estate is all about, 'location, location, location,' therefore, I would prefer the modest home on the water because living on the water is a better location than a home in a development cul-de-sac.

Furthermore, based on my experience the quality of life in a beach community is far superior to being land locked.
High-rise. I'm an air person (Aquarius). No being out on the shore, no being on any kind of dead-end street.
I'd prefer neither option.

Depending upon the body of water, a home on the water might be in an area designated as a FEMA flood plain--which translates into higher insurance premiums.

Additionally, I've already lived in several areas with lots of ongoing development (including the area I currently live in). The price that my neighbors and I pay for all of this "progress" is lots of jammed up traffic, noise pollution from the heavy equipment and traffic, lots of ongoing road work (but nothing ever really gets completed), and I could go on.

As long as the area is clean and safe, and I have space to toss a few steaks and ribs on the grill (as I did a few hours ago :) ), then I'll be fine.
Modest home on the water....I've lived in the country in a big house on acreage, and a large Victorian with wooden floors and maid quarters but nothing compares to living on the water and the tranquility and serenity of it all.
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
I would prefer a regular (not raised) ranch with a daylight basement on 40+ acres away from town. Unless that modest house on the water has 40+ acres.