Kantos, Home Buyer in Lancaster, PA

Please suggest to sellers to NOT use Glade Plug-ins, scented candles, fragrance "stuff" when trying to sell their home? They make many buyers ill.

Asked by Kantos, Lancaster, PA Sun Jun 30, 2013

Answers

5
I have had more buyers complain about unpleasant "scents" from dog/cat odors........cigarette smoke odors.............and damp musty basement odors.....not to mention various cooking odors ....those can really make people feel ill and/or turn them off to a home.

So, I would suggest sellers work on those odors first..........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 1, 2013
I'm with you.
Flag Wed Jul 3, 2013
The whole scent and good smelling home for a seller is a double edged sword. Some buyers would love to come in and smell the cookies and baked goods while others would absolutely hate it and wonder what they are trying to cover up. With plug-ins and air fresheners you just need to be careful with the amount. Point taken but it is impossible to make everyone happy.
Your point is well taken.....on the other hand how would one address the problem of others over doing it with perfumes and colognes? Let's face it, the American public has an aversion to offensive odors but the line is too often crossed.

Please read all the responses here:
http://valleymarket.com/2007/02/24/why-scents-may-not-make-cents-when-trying-to-sell-your-home/
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
Most sellers do not use the plug ins as they can be a fire hazard if left plugged in. Perhaps Alan is right when they were trying to cover up a smell. Maybe the smell they were covering is what made you ill. I have had buyers get sick over pet odors, trash smells and smoke, but never plug ins.
Article and many responses.
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
I think that's an over-generalization. I certainly prefer natural scents (boiled vanilla or cinnamon sticks, freshly baked bread or cookies)... but sometimes artificial scents are needed to cover pet scents, or musty odours.

I've yet to hear from a buyer's agent that the use of plug-in, scented candles or fragrances has annoyed, bothered or made viewers ill. Perhaps they just "overdid" it?
The fact that you're able to copy one article from an Alaskan magazine, doesn't necessarily translate to actuality out in the "real world" where people are viewing property.
Flag Mon Jul 1, 2013
Article and responses:
Flag Sun Jun 30, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL