Home Buying in Huntsville>Question Details

Julieanne, Home Buyer in Huntsville, AL

Please share thoughts about the high crime rate in Huntsville? Safest areas of Huntsville?

Asked by Julieanne, Huntsville, AL Thu Jul 19, 2012

Lauren’s answer
Im a young woman who has lived in 4 different locations, 2 of which were cities. Huntsville is a very professional city with the occasional outburst, it's gotten a bit worse lately with the economy, but the same goes for any place. I feel safe walking the streets even in some of the most shabby looking neighborhoods.
Huntsville is not just huntsville, it's a close combination of three areas smooshed into one, so we get all kinds of people, some not so desirable. If you're willing to put forth the extra cash, Hampton cove, Madison City, and Harvest are much more close knit, I live in the Madison County area. It's about a 15 minute Drive to true huntsville and a still a great place to live.
Being a city, you can pick an area and have everything you need right in your area, fire stations, police departments, schools, and community buildings.
The most common crime around here is theft, and keep in mind, some people misreport things and it's not taken off the websites or the rating. I saw one about a comcast remote. Who steals a remote!?
Now go to youtube and look up the climbing in your windows, snatching yo people up song. Note how stupid the entire story has. I'm not a broker. I'm not a Realtor. I'm just a part time worker for tmw that is looking for a place to live myself that has lived here for 5 years and never had an incident.

Huntsville is a wonderful place to live. You don't have to worry. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 26, 2012
Great answer :)
Flag Thu Jul 26, 2012
Huntsville is a great place to live, in my opinion. Check out the stats but also talk to some of the people here (stop at the mall or grocery store) ask them if they feel safe. I can't recommend areas all I can do is tell you if it matter to you check it out. The statistics are public information at community.dps.alabama.gov
Go to the website for the town or county. Most will offer information that may answer these types of questions.
He is right, we are not only "not allowed" - if we tell you what we think and something happens to you in the "safe" area - it can make us liable. I found that the police station here in SE Hsv has been helpful to potential Buyers in answering these kind of questions :) They are located on Bailey Cove Rd right across from Grissom High - and you will accomplish more if you show up in person :)
Hope this helps! If you need help finding a home - let me know! lol You can find my rating on Angie's List
Real estate agents are not allowed to comment on those types of things. You would have to do your own research on those statistics.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing