Question Details

Karen Cheesm…, Both Buyer and Seller in Columbia, SC

Please send me a state by state list of property taxes for non owner occupied houses and multi-family houses.

Asked by Karen Cheesman, Columbia, SC Sun Sep 30, 2012

I am looking for rental investment properties in states with low property taxes.

Answers

6
In 2001 I bought an investment property in Los Angeles county. Property tax was low and it was a good investment. In 2010 I bought another investment property in Columbia, SC. but the property tax was over $4,000. per year - twice as much as it would be if I were the owner-occupier. I don't know if this is true everywhere in SC or if it was because it was an HOA house. I'm thinking of selling this house and then buying in an area where property tax won't eat up most of my profit. When I saw this map (see link) I was surprised to see that SC was considered a low property tax state. If I could find a similar map showing non-resident investment property taxes state by state, I thought it might help my search. Please advise. http://www.trulia.com/blog/gina_chirico/2010/03/property_tax…
Interesting question....maybe their social security numbers as well!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Lets see
The US has 3,009 counties, 64 parishes,16 boroughs,41 independent municipalities or cities.
Many cities, such as those in Pinellas County FL, (St Petersburg) has independent taxing authorities that make the projections of taxes incurred less that scientific.

You are at the end of the real profiting taking opportunities in the hard hit states like Florida. With out a doubt, there does exist true cash flow and long term equity opportunities in the hard hit states.

Unfortunately, you have waited to long. Blackstone, PK and other major investment companies have announced buying sprees well in excess of a BILLION dollars. That is ALL the inventory in Pinellas County for 3/2 single family homes between 150 and 200 thousand for several years. Fannie May, Freddie Mac, Ellie May have been bulk selling to investors, below the radar, for over a year.

For rentals you will find Orlando to be the best investment area. This area also was the quickest to recover economicly aswell as in real estate values.

You can access the Bureau of Labor Statistics to mine the county data you need. You may find it more beneficial to simply state what your investment goals are and agents with matching inventory can contact you. Better still, for my investors, agents like myself will create the situation that works for them.

You do understand, this is a business not a hobby. If you want to do business, the list will be the easiest of the tasks.

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Hi, Karen,

The old maxim, "Don't ask what it costs, ask what it is worth." may apply here. Texas has relatively high property taxes, yet had less of a market dip and stronger recovery than nearly anyone else. We have no state income tax. Our rental market is quite strong in San Antonio because of our strong Military population and diverse growing economy. San Antonio is adding about 150 people per day! The Builders are not keeping up with the demand, so that indicates that our housing market will continue to thrive.

Here is our video that explains why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZRNeli2tQo&list=UUYqFj2s…

We are investors ourselves and we know the rental investment market very well. Let me know if you would like to see some good values.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
(210) 764-9403
Do you think you have a bigger sampling; Just the Western Hemisphere?
Are you considering Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam?
You can easily pull that off an internet search. More importantly, property taxes are a very small part of the overall evaluation of potential investment properties. You could get properties in states with no property taxes and still get hosed without asking the right questions.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com