Marianne, Home Buyer in Brentwood, CA

Plan to purchase a land on Hollywood Hills and develop a single family home, any chance to find out the estimated

Asked by Marianne, Brentwood, CA Mon Feb 6, 2012

construction cost on an upslope land for a 4bedroom home, size approx 6400sqft? I imagine there will be some extra cost as it is not entirely a flat lot. I'm an investor from Australia and would appreciate all replies. Cheers

Answers

7
The hills are a complex area to develop as there are a lot of requirements and red tape. It is critically important that you have the right professionals on your side to ensure that you cut through quickly and deftly in order to avoid costly delays and wasted design dollars. This includes architects, engineers and expediters and if necessary land use consultants. Development in the hills will require that you get geotechnical reports and engineering. Recently enacted codes dictate that you get a survey as well as a slope analysis. Hillside designation further prescribes that the new construction takes into consideration appropriate parking, street widening, fire hydrant access and fire sprinklers in the building itself.

Depending on precisely where your lot is located you may be subject to design approval from the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council as well as Mulholland Scenic Design Review Board.

Appropriate, experienced guidance is strongly suggested. I would be happy to meet with you or schedule a telephone conference call in order to get you started on the right foot. I can assist in estimating for upslope development but we should connect to discuss some items before doing so.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 6, 2012
Hi Marianne;;
Before you do anything you must look at the Hillside Ordiance Act of the hills that passed over a year ago. It limits how much grating, how large the home can be based on the size of the lot and alot of other rules pertaining to hillside properties.. Next you need to consult with a contracter to find out what the costs would be. With the new law it lilmits a lot ot things you can do and not do on hiilside properties.
If you can any questions you should address them with your Realtor.
If I can be of any help, please let me know.
Arleen Fidler
Sotheby's International Realty
9255 Sunset Blvd., Mezzanine
Los Angeles, Ca 90069
310-259-3320
Web Reference: http://arleensellsla.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 6, 2012
I'd be available to sit down with you & discuss your plans in detail. There is a huge range of price per square foot cost of construction in the Hollywood Hills. I'm an Agent Realtor/Broker and residential Architect. This neighborhood is my area of practice.
SPK Architects
7920 Sunset Blvd, Ste 100
Los Angeles, CA 90046
323-650-6793
Best place to start is with Building & Safety in Los Angeles (http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/public-home.jsf). This is one of the departments you'd need to be inconstant communication before & during the construction. Please consult a real estate agent who is familiar with the Hills as there are many local disclosures that are best known before a purchase of land and/or breaking ground. Lastly, unless paying cash for land, it's difficult in the US to get land and construction loans these days.

Happy to Help!

Renee' Kische
Hi Marianne,

You'll want to look into all hillside ordinances in the Hollywood Hills and talk to several contractors and architects regarding getting a cost approximation for your project. The constructions costs will also depend on how steep the grade of the lot is as well as the results of the soils and geo reports. With financing limited you'll likely need to pay cash for the land (or find an owner willing to carry) and pay all or a large portion of the construction costs in cash as well. I currently have a large parcel of land available in the Hollywood Hills and know the area very well. It would be great to hear exactly what you're looking for and I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Grant Linscott
cell 323-333-6222
grantlinscottproperty@gmail.com
Marianne,
I am a local real estate broker and general contractor in the area. I have a friend who is an architect and is developing/building three (3) homes in the Hollywood Hills area... if you emal me directly I can point you in the right direction on everything from land acquisition, to design and construction and prices. Your question is general in nature and too broad to adress in this forum.

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker and General Contractor
Ron@lacs1.com
there is a great lot available if your interested call me.