Josh, Home Buyer in 90808

Pets and HOA'S

Asked by Josh, 90808 Fri May 20, 2011

I am currently renting and was thinking about buying a condo. I have 3 medium sized dogs and would prefer a single family home but cannot afford it. What has turned of me off about condos is that I heard HOA's have lots of rules about pets, how many pets, how much they weigh, etc.

How can I find out more information about each complex's HOA rules? I asked a real estate agent I know and he said I would have to get approved, submit an offer and go through the contingency process which does not sit well with me.

I want to know before hand if they accept dogs so I don't waste my time going through all that hassle. Can someone help me?

Answers

11
Getting approved doesn't sound so bad, but submitting offers to get ahold of HOA docs sounds rediculous. You should be able to get ahold of these things without much trouble, either by contacting the HOA directly, or asking the agent in contact with the seller.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 20, 2011
I just went thru that with a buyer who has a 90 lb dog and was able to tell her which condos did allow her size dog and we went out and only looked at those specific buildings in Long Beach. There are quite a number that do allow pets so depending on where you are looking in Long Beach you should be able to find one to your liking.

If you would like to know the buildings that I have experience with that do allow dogs, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to share the information.

Barbara Robbins-Olexa, Broker, , e-Pro(R), SRES(R)
DRE Lic#7997560
L B Brokerage
714-296-7270
bstrealtor@aol.com
http://www.barbararobbinsolexa.com
Servicing Long Beach & Neighboring Communities for 30+ years
You can call the Property Manager or Association President or Secretary and ask them. The agent who told you you had to make an offer first is misinformed. I live in a beautiful t
own home community that welcomes dogs and cats!
Hi Josh,

Your agent can contact the property manager of the condo community. Property managers work directly with the HOA board of directors and have all of the necessary information and documentation for the community, such as CC&R's. The CC&R's will include the rules regarding pets. If the community doesn't have a property manager, the listing agent should be in contact with one of the HOA board of directors. One of these members can provide the information you need. I am a neighborhood specialist in the 90808 area of Long Beach. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact me.
Easy, rather than buy a condo. Look into buying a Duplex where you get credit for the rental income of the second unit and you can qualify for more and then do whatever you want with your property as far as pets go. Brent James
HI Josh, you pretty much have your answers here. I noticed your title as Home Buying in 90808...I live in 90808, and the only condos/town homes here are the Lakes on Spring and the little tract of town homes right next to the Lakes... Is that the complex(s) you're looking in? If so give us a call and we'll call the HOA and some pass-clients that live there and get you that info. There are other important factors to consider when buying into an HOA in this market such as HOA reserves and delinquencies which can affect your ability and or desire to purchase there. It's a good time to buy Josh as you will hammer out a great deal I'm sure.
Cheers,
Brad Cummings
Certified Distressed Property Expert
714-317-2486
Hi Josh!
I agree with your agent about getting approved first. Then I would start looking at condos that have home features you want and once you find some condos that you like, then find out the details of condo association rules and HOAs. I believe this is the most practical order to do things because otherwise you could just end up wasting your time, the seller's time, and the agent's time. Have some patience but I definitely think you will find what you are looking for in a new home. Good Luck!
Yes, Josh, I can help you. Whatever complex you would be interested in, I can contact the listing agent to find out about the pet rules. It's just a matter of talking with the seller, and in most cases, they will know. You still do want to check the CC&Rs, (condo rules booklet), but at least you will know verbally up front pets are allowed and I would encourage you to let me write in your offer that it is contingent on you being able to have your pets live with you. Most complexes these days do allow pets. The bad news is, most complexes have a two pet rule, and often times there is a weight restriction, the pets need to be under 40 pounds. Three pets could be a problem, I'm letting you know that up front.
Feel free to call or email me!
Nancy Cardena
Main Street Realtors
562-221-8374
Good morning Josh...

Congratulations on your pending new home purchase...I think you might be mixing up HOA's with Condo Associations. HOA's are typically homeowners of townhomes or single family homes that band together legally to impose a layer of regulations for the community that include architectural changes, maintenance of common areas such as streets, lights, tennis courts, pools, fields (mowing, snow removal etc.), fencing and usually include a reserve fund for emergencies or larger replacements of these items. With this type of ownership, the homeowner typically owns the roof and sides of the home outside, and typically you would also own some portion of the land surrounding either the home or the town house.
Rarely do the HOA's limit you on pets, at least in this area....
Now to condos and condo associations. Obviously, they are similar in structure and function, but in condo's, the homeowner rarely owns the roof, side(s) of the home, or any of the land. This is all owned and maintained by the condo association. Condos typically have more and stricter guidelines, including some that limit pet choices and even sizes.
I am sure any condo association or HOA would be happy discuss with you their rules regarding pets before you get prequalified or even make an offer. Nationally, when you write a contract for the home, both condo associations and HOA's are requierd to disclose ALL their rules and regulations for you to review before you fully accept the contract (this is the contingency process your agent alluded to). Your lender will also wish to review these documents.
To my mind, you should get pre-qualified, then research the rules, then find a new agent you wish to work with....The reason? If you do not qualify, why waste your time? Some associations have 100 pages or rules and regs...
Best wishes!
Jim, American Bank, 703 615 4675. We serve all 50 states!
No that is not completely the way it is, you can certainly get hoa docs and rules and regulations before making an offer, most buyers ask fior them as part of their offer and ask for say a 5 day review period, where you have 3 dogs in orde rto not waste yours, the seller or the agents time it is best to know if they accept 3 dogs right up front.

Some hoa's require approval to get in but not all... but all do ask you to follow the rules, you just need to know what those rules are to know if you and your pets are welcome...
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Josh,

I agree with you - why waste everyone's time? I suggest if you find a condo complex you like, find out (or have your Realtor find out) who the HOA is and contact them before you even look at a condo available for sale in the complex to see what their pet policy is.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com