Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

Willy Wonkaa…, Home Buyer in Central Beaverton, B...

Perry Twp, IN need advice.

Asked by Willy Wonkaaaa, Central Beaverton, Beaverton, OR Thu Jan 17, 2013

It seems like the home prices in Perry Twp, IN are great. May I ask for some BLUNT opinions why this would be? I am moving to the greater Indy area and would like to know. Also, what is the south side of Indy known for? All cities have sides known for something positive and negative. Thanks!

Answers

10
Acts2Verses38and39’s answer
Perry is a pretty decent area.
It has a lot of solid older homes, big yards, and quite a few have double garages.
It's close to Greenwood which has restaurants and a big mall.
The schools are probably the weak spot.
If you need good schools, head to Zionsville if you have the cash, or Franklin Township, Plainfield, or Avon.
All are just outside of the city limits.
I would contact Jamelle Walker, Realtor.

Jamelle Walker
317-453-0917
jamellewalker2002@yahoo.com
jamellewalker.kwrealty.com

I moved from another area to Indy. I wanted someone to help me. Jamelle did just that. Give him a call he is good at what he does.

Best of luck.
Hey Willy!

LOVE your name by the way!! Indy Metro in general has so much to offer. You like sports? We got it? You like the arts/theatre? Got that too! Like to eat? We've got GREAT restaurants!

Would be happy to help you find an affordable home that you will love! Shoot me a text when you have a second and I will get back to you promptly! (317)503-0532.
Hi Willy, Prices are low right now. Good time to buy.
Lots of shopping and an excellent school system are a couple reasons Perry twp is so desirable. Prices for homes in Indianapolis compare well to most major cities. Home buyers get a lot for there money in Indy. Good Luck, Cathy O'Banion 317-697-9340 or obanion.cathy@gmail.com
As a real estate consultant I have had the pleasure of selling houses in perry township . I LOVE the southside of Indy. Growing up there I appreciate the lovely gardens of Garfield park and the Indy 500 is a huge attraction for downtown Indy. Both of these attractions are minutes from perry township.There are older established neighborhoods. I have the latest home prices for perry township I will be happy to share any information I have with you.
Donna Jackson d.jacksonforreal@gmail.com
Willy,

I would say that it seems to me that you are more interested in the southside than any other part of town. It could be because the home prices are lower there, in general, than in some other parts of the city. Perry Township is a township/area on the southside of Indianapolis, just like Southport is. It is a diverse area culturally and has a good deal of lower-income homes. I think of Southport and Perry Township as a generally "working-class" type of area, with pockets of upper-middle-class homes and then lower-middle-class homes. The Southport/Perry Township area is very convenient to downtown Indianapolis, so many people like living there because of that.

To be quite honest, I have lived in the Indianapolis metro area my whole life and I have known many people from Indy's southside and I can't really think of a specific thing the southside is 'known for.' There is a very nice park, Garfield Park, that has a wonderful botanical garden. Perhaps, that is what I would think of most when I think of the southside. It's just a typical, working-class type of area and I'm not sure how else I could explain it. As Peter mentioned, the people of the southside are usually not known to be pretentious, they are just hard-working people and many/most of them prefer to stay on the southside if they were raised on the southside. The University of Indianapolis is also located in that area, which is a highly thought-of institution. The southside that you are referring to is an older part of town, one that was established in mid-20th-century, so it has all the typical characteristics of that type of area...smaller, brick bungalows and National homes that were built after the war, on through homes that were built in the 60's and 70's.

As a buyer who is from out-of-town, I would sincerely suggest you visit at some point and tour the Southport/Perry Township area - as well as other areas of the city. If you give your realtor your criteria for a new home, I'm sure you can find something in any area you truly are interested in.

Julie A. Barnett
Broker Associate/REALTOR
Prudential Indiana Realty Group
jbarnett@prudentialindiana.com
I will agree with Peter in the assessment of Perry Township. The prices are typically reflective of supply and demand. Location, Location, location will prove to be the case every time. Although I am not crazy about supporting the sterotype of the northside vs southside issue. I live in Indianapolis in an area deemed "old money" and I am neither from here nor do I have much money. My neighborhood is made up of a very diverse group of people with varying ages, income levels etc. etc and I find most of them delightful. I relocated here 6 years ago from Michigan (where I was also a Realtor) and I think breaking through all those "sterotypes" to find the best home for my family and I was a great learning experience (which has even made me a better Realtor). There are several INDEPENDENT online resources that can help you learn about the various surrounding areas. Email me if you would like me to send you any of that information.
Kristin Tomyn
ktomyn@c21scheetz.com
http://www.indyhomeselling.com
Willy,

Perry Township, like Marion County in general was affected by the economic downturn, with consequent foreclosures and short sales - which led to depression of home prices. There was some over-building (in my opinion) and too easy credit. Things are slowly coming back.

The south side is known for it's lack of pretentiousness and down-to-earth people. Southsiders have often thought Carmel, Fishers and Hamilton County residents in general to be "stuck up". The north-central part of Marion County is traditionally where the "old money" lives.

Hope this helps.
Peter Knight
RE/MAX Ability Plus
(317) 529-4178
Best next action is to ask a local Real Estate Broker by clicking "Find a Pro" in the main menu at the top of this website. http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/