Terri, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Pacifica or South San Francisco?

Asked by Terri, San Francisco, CA Sat Jun 2, 2012

I will be purchasing a home in either Pacifica or South San Francisco in 2013. We currently live in the Pacific Manor area of Pacifica and love it here, even though it does get foggy. I am wondering, however, if I can get more square footage for my money in South San Francisco. I am very familiar with Pacifica and know the areas I would want to buy in (Vallemar, Pacific Manor, or Linda Mar), but I don't know South San Francisco areas at all. Does anyone have any advice as to areas I would want to research? I will be spending up to $500K.

Answers

3
Hi Terri,

Since it will be awhile before you decide to purchase, why don't you find an agent you want to work with, have him/ her email you homes that fit your search criteria so you can follow the market and talk with a mortgage professional so you can find out if you qualify for a loan, and if so, how much.

NOTE: You may qualify for a higher amount that what you want to pay, so make sure to find out exactly home much your payments will be so you don't end up like many before you and lose your home.

Also, follow the market on the MLS and go to some open homes to get a better idea.

Best.

Tap
I don't know if you have children or not but if you do, it would be a good idea to check out school ratings prior to deciding if this is a good area for you. There is a website called greatschools.org which rates schools and has parent comments re: the school. Here is also a link to the City of South San Francisco website to check out. http://www.ssf.net/ I grew up in South San Francisco but a lot has changed. It is good to talk to neighbors who live in the particular area you are thinking of purchasing in to find out their likes and dislikes. Another thing I would do is get a list to together of "must haves" in a home and "nice to haves". Compare which of those markets will give you the things on that list as well. We have a form we can forward to you if you would like. Just email me and I will send it. No pressure as I do not sell in that market.

Debbie Good
Team Good and Miller
Associate Realtor
Dorrington Realty
id 01386458
A lot can change in a year;
who knows where the prices will be.
You should spend some time in SSF; got to lunch, go garage saling, go shopping....
Don't take anyone else's word for it.