Home Buying in Millington>Question Details

A. Smith, Home Buyer in 38053

PICKING A REALTOR

Asked by A. Smith, 38053 Tue Mar 24, 2009

I'm looking for advice on the best Realtor to use for picking a single family house in the Millington, TN and surrounding areas. I've been looking on the web, found one that promises a 42" HDTV for a purchase! I'll need a buyers agent for the July 2009 timeframe and will be limited for time between selection, purchase, and occupancy.

Has anyone had good experience with a local agent that they would recommend?

Also, is it unusual for a realtor to offer buyer incentives (such as the t.v.), or in the current market is that something a qualified buyer should expect?

Answers

6
A. Smith,
Many Realtor's do give a thank you gift (within the amount that is allowed by RESPA) after closing and some do offer incentives to get your attention but that is a business decision. I am not silly enough to think that it does not have an effect on some people but it is the world that we live in today.

Terry
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent, not just a Buyer's Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. I can refer you to an EBA in your area, if you like.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
We hired a Realtor who offered us a T.V. as well. I wasn't sure if that was common or not but our Realtor did a great job in helping us find a home. I would ask around in your community which Realtors people have used and been happy with.
Thanks for the input. For clarification I would never pick a realtor for a t.v., I already have a pretty good one! (t.v., not Realtor).

The offer was from the realtor, not a builder: http://www.david-amy.com/Nav.aspx/Page=/About/Default.aspx. Link on the left for free HDTV. I am not advertising for these Realtors! I do not endorse or know them...your mileage may vary.

I'm more interested in finding a good realtor, the question ("is it unusual?") about incentives was more along the lines of Mr. Longmire's input. The market seems to be lending itself to buyer incentives. Just curious if this was becoming common place or not. When I bought my first home several years ago my realtor at the time gave a garage door opener as a house warming gift. It was unexpected and a nice touch for a new construction home.
Okay A. Smith,

It's frowned upon with a big NO NO for Realtors to give incentives to a potential client for them to do business with them. When I say frowned - I mean they are violating our code of ethics. Now perhaps the builder is offering this and it is listed with the agent you are referring to. That's a different story.

I do not practice in Millington personally, but I have referred the gentleman below - Terry Longmire several times. My clients love him, he is a native of Millington, knows his stuff, is honest and hard working. This is a sincere plug for the guy - he is awesome. You should try hem out for a test drive!

I have been in real estate for 15 years - a Realtor for over 13 years, sell a ton of real estate year in and out. I will represent myself on investment property purchases, HOWEVER, I never do on personal property purchases. Doctors don't operate on themselves or their families. Oliver W. Holmes said that an attorney that has himself for a client has a fool. I know hair stylist don't cut their own hair (well, the good ones don't). Use a professional and one that comes from a good source - you will be soooooooooooo happy you did. They will save you money, stress, future problems and can take the emotional aspect out of the equation, so you know when you are maiking the right decision.

He is a very good egg!

Jo Shaner
I think you should call some of the agents you are seeing on the web and talk with them, you both need to see if you can work together and if they can meet your wants and needs. I would never pick a Realtor because they are going to give you a tv. Your Realtor should listen to you first and take what you want and apply it to what the market is offering. The market has made many agents do things that are outside the box in order to garner business.

Terry