Home Buying in Providence>Question Details

Tina, Other/Just Looking in Rubin

Owner occupied - does this include situation where children live in the property but parents who finance the property do not?

Asked by Tina, Rubin Wed Mar 27, 2013

With respect to financing and also regarding tax assessment, would a property be considered owner occupied if your child/children plan to occupy the property but the parents who are financing the property do not? I assume it would be non owner occupied but wasnt positive. Also, note that the parents currently do own a home.

Answers

3
Usually not considered owner occupied, if they're not living there and especially already have their own home they claim as primary residence.

Why do you ask? Are you looking to purchase a second for children? Contact me at 401 527 1994 or joshg@alumni.brown.edu, and perhaps I can help.
FHA sometimes allows parents to co-sign a loan, I have a few great loan officers that maybe able to help. Email me at JayRezendes@Jay-Rezendes.com, call, or text me at 401-639-3914
HI Tina,

My personal advice is to check with the municipality that you are buying in to get an answer as to what they consider owner occupied. I have a very similar situation I am working with right now and that is what I did.

As for the write off for tax purposes I would check with your accountant or tax specialist for these implications.