Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

ashley, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

Owner decides to sell house 2 months after I moved in..

Asked by ashley, Los Angeles, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

I moved in this house November 1st after signing a 1 year lease agreement, two months later I receive an email saying that the owner wants to sell the house and the day after they did the first showing. Since then it has been non stop people in and out of the house. I work from home and have a dog which means I have to leave the house every time they come. They even came 2 times on Sundays and last week stayed 2 hours with 5 or 6 people for an inspection while I was working and left the house with dirt everywhere knowing the cleaning lady was there the day before. Now they ask me to leave the house for an hour on a week day to do an appraisal. What can I do? can I ask a discount for the disturbance? I told them I was looking for a long term place since I moved my office in the house, etc. Now I don't know what's going to happen if I will have to move out or not.. I stopped furnishing the house and I live in a half empty house I might be kicked out of.. Need advices.. THKS

Answers

8
Hi Ashley:

Revert back to your lease agreement. There are terms in your agreement that cover much of this. First off, if you have a one year lease, the new owner must respect your lease...a sale of this property is not a reason for them to kick you out...your lease stays in effect even if the house is sold and the new owner must honor your lease.

The new owner, however, may try to buy out your lease for a lump some of money. That ultimately is up to you.

Secondly, all of the showings, again, revert back to your lease. In your lease there may be a provision for the owners to give you notice every time that they want to show the property. It does not mean that you need to leave. They are disrupting your work day if you work at home. There is not reason for you to have to leave when they do an appraisal. You can be home while the appraiser measures the exterior and then takes pictures of the interior.

The notice to enter the premises time is usually 24 to 48 hours. You may be a nice person and let them in with just a phone call. That is totally up to you.

Also, is your house a single family home? Are there other rental units on the property? If there are more than 2 units on this property, and if it is located in the City of Los Angeles and built prior to 1973 it may be subject to the Rent Stabilization Ordinance and many other rules and regulations apply. If it is just one unit, then it is not.

Kat
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
You need to get ahold of your "Truth in Renting" Booklet for your state and see what your rights are. You have a 1 year lease and unless you agreed to the house being shown when you signed your lease you do not need to show your place. However, you have to refer back to your lease to make sure there is nothing in there. Even if somebody purchases the home, they still have to honor your lease. However, I would check with an Attorney on legal advice. I would also charge the landlord a cleaning fee for everyone coming through your place. You can also request that nobody enters your place without you being there.
If you have a lease you do not have to move out. I would check with a real estate attorney
I like Kat's answer below. If it was me, I would also take the minute to write a letter to your manager with your next month's rent explaining how you're deducting $100 cleaning fee for that inspection. =)

__________________________
Caroline Harabedian
RE-Search Concept
8700 Reseda Blvd., Suite 213-B
Northridge, California 91324
(818) 967-9626 mobile
(818) 979-0226 fax
http://www.HomesByCaroline.net
Ashley,

Weher is the house located. You may be in a rent control area which give you certain rights. As far as leaving the house. You do not have to. As far as showings, 24 hour notice must be given to you as the tenant.

Steve
Typically you should get at least 24 hours notice for any showings, etc. I suggest trying to arrange certain days and times that are convenient for you and the owner to show the property. The owner doesn't have to oblige but if you explain the disruption it has caused, most owners are willing to agree.

The new owner of your property inherits your current lease agreement. While they can ask you to leave, depending on the terms of your lease agreement, you may not have to.
Talk to department of housing about it, BUT.. there is nothing wrong with you being there while any of the inspections / appraisal being done.. I would of stayed the whole time and turned up your favorite song... even while everyone was coming in to see the house.
What does your lease agreement say? Generally unless the contract says otherwise you can give them reasonable access but doesn't mean you have to give unlimited access. Check the contract or have a professional check it for you because it could be that the buyer has to honor your lease or negotiate for you to terminate. Also the Dept of consumer affairs has a CA Tenant/Landlord handbook online at dca.ca.gov that may be helpful too.