April Hill, Home Buyer in South Lyon, MI

Our first good faith estimate had a interest rate of 6.5% and the new Good faith estimate from the underwriters has an interest rate of 7% due to

Asked by April Hill, South Lyon, MI Mon Dec 28, 2009

them adding in a $1800 Broker's fee. Please help I am needing answers.

Answers

2
Hi April,

Adding a broker's fee would not increase the interest rate, however you may be confusing interest rate with APR (which are not the same). And APR would appear on a Truth in Lending (TIL) disclosure as opposed to a good faith estimate. Either way, it sounds like there may be a lack of communication between yourself and your lender so I'd recommend you address this with your loan officer and request an explanation. If the explanation is not satisfactory then I'd find a new lender. Good luck to you and happy holidays!
Tony
April,

Effective in the new year, there are many changes in how the Good Faith Estimates appear and how and when they should be generated ... but that doesn't explain why all of the changes.

I will say that interest rates are an estimate until they are locked, so that is a moving target and can change daily or multiple times a day. In not being familiar with your circumstances and the situation, I do not know what a going rate would be for you, although that does seem high to me. Also, any fees should never be a surprise.

Approach the loan officer, and/or their manager and consult with your agent as well. Have you yet secured a buyers agent? If you have not, I would like to speak with you further.

Best regards in the new year!

Derek Bauer, Associate Broker / Realtor
Real Estate One
Web Reference: http://DoorToDreams.com