Chriso, Home Buyer in South Oak Park, Sacr...

Opinions on South Oak Park neighborhood?

Asked by Chriso, South Oak Park, Sacramento, CA Sun Mar 21, 2010

I was looking at a house in the South Oak Park neighborhood and the prices seem quite low, is this a bad neighborhood? Like with crime or something?

Chris

Answers

5
Anna M Brocco’s answer
As far as safety is concerned, your best source of information is the local police department, why not visit/call ask all your questions, they will gladly help; also when visiting the area if the opportunity arises chat with the neighbors/locals and inquire. Keep in mind that opinions are subjective--drive around the area more than once and at different times of day, look at everything that is of importance to you and then make your determination.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 21, 2010
Thank you Norm,

I was thinking about driving around there with my wife, and Friday night does seem like a good time.
And knowing that they are putting money in the area helps too.
Hi Chriso, the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) is pouring 32 million dollars into redeveloping that area (and others like North Highlands). I work with a developer (see link below) that gets paid by SHRA to buy foreclosures and fix them up. SHRA offers down payment assistance to qualified Low and Mid-Income familes.
I suggest driving around the area on a Friday night and forming your own opinion. Couple that with the links provided by others for crime stats and then make your decision.
This developer really does a nice job but the homes are often sold before they get listed on MLS. I have a list of homes available and you can actually choose your paint colors and select your carpet etc. in many of the remodels. There is a video link to a story in the news about this program. Investors cannot purchase these homes.
All the best in your search of a new home.
Thank you Elizabeth and Anna!

That helps quite a bit.

Chris