Home Buying in Fife>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Opinions on Fife? I've found some good deals on condos there versus what one would pay in Kent, Federal

Asked by Jessica, Seattle, WA Sun Aug 23, 2009

Way, Des Moines, and even Auburn.

I'm a first time home buyer so I am a bit worried about resale since Fife isn't the most happening place. I heard some concerns about flooding and Mt. Rainier (condos located at 20th St. E.)...?

If anyone has any knowledge of Fife, please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Fife

Answers

6
Hello Jessica, I have actually been previewing condos in the Fife area these past 2 weeks, if you would like to take a look this week I would be happy to meet up and show you some properties.

Fife is in Pierce County so taxes are lower then Kent, Federal Way, Auburn etc. (King County) That is a huge pro when you are a 1st time homebuyer and trying to keep payments low and affordable.

All areas you are looking in are great; neighborhoods vary no matter where you are. Resale is dependant on alot of factors; just remember owning your own home is great no matter where you are, it's YOURS.

Flooding is always an issue near the rivers in Fife as well as Auburn. With Regards to Mt. Rainer, that is one we can not predict.

Would you like some flood plain info for the area near 20th St. E?

Call or email, I would love to assist you.
Jessica - it's been a long time since you asked this question, but in case you have not yet purchased, I would look at the townhomes in the Radiance community of Fife .. particularly the ones that are served by Fife school district. Due to the year most of these units were sold, many owners are trying to sell through short sales and also foreclosures are happening .. Good opportunities on pricing and versatile floorplans, with garages. The community has trails, parks, etc. And Fife school district is highly rated. All important for resale.
Jessica, what is your price range. I will send you over some listings in all areas as well some payment variations King vs. Pierce, pros and cons for various condos etc.

Call or email, chat soon!
Two things to keep in mind in general with condos.

First, there may be certain sellers who are willing to accept much less than list. You can determine that by determining what they probably owe, whether the property is vacant, and how long it's been on the market. That's true with houses too, but my point is you might be able to pick up a Renton condo at a Fife price.

Second, condos were units are seemingly selling for less may not be a bargain. They may have legal or financial issues, such as say a suit against a developer for faulting siding (common in Snohomish County).
Thank you both. I will be going to school in Renton for a year then doing clinicals, but I have no idea where my clinicals will be. So the only commute that is guaranteed is to Renton.
Generally speaking, the further away you get from Seattle, the lower the prices will be. So the lower prices don't mean there's anything wrong with Fife. Just keep in mind that the further you are away from where you work, the higher your commute expenses can be, especially if you drive. So if you work in Seattle, any savings in price might be lost over time. If you can take something like The Sounder train, that might not matter so much.

As to Krisy's answer about floods not being possible to predict, that raises an interesting question. I'll assume flood insurance is available for condos, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if you do live in a flood plain, then flood insurance could be an additional cost, either directly or indirectly (if the condo association has flood insurance for the common properties). Also, regardless of damage or cost, if a flood prevents you from getting in or out of your home, that would not be a good situation.