Lourdes, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Once I take in a section 8 tenant - am I now stuck with the program?

Asked by Lourdes, Sacramento, CA Wed Jan 13, 2010

Answers

5
Ed Favinger’s answer
Lourdes...

Section 8 can be a good deal if you are concerned about getting your rent check on time. Section 8 will pay the lions share of the rent for the tenant.

However... when ever you are in bed with the government, they can be a pain in the butt to work with. They are going to go over your rental with a fine tooth comb before the tenant moves in and they are going to come out near the end of the lease to make sure it's still in good shape.

After the 1st year though I'm finding that the Section 8 doesn't always renew the lease. They let it roll over to a month to month situation so all they have to do is give you a 30 day notice to move and they are "out a there" but since they would been there over 12 months you'd need to give them 60 days notice to move.

Anyway... I hope this helps...

Make it a great day...
I am in the process of buying a house with a section 8 tenant... The closing is May 15th... How do I handle moving out the tenant and moving into the house?
Hi there... Section 8 housing is run the same way any other lease except that a government agency is going to send you a check for most of the rent.

What you'll have to do is get your agent to see what the term of the lease is... if their lease isn't up by the time the deal closes, you'll take over as the landlord.

If they are now on a month to month with a Section 8 contract and they have been there for longer than 12 months, the law requires a 60 day notice to move... if they are "disabled" and on Section 8, they might be allowed 90 days.. so have your get that information to you asap.

I hope this helps...
Flag Tue Feb 12, 2013
Here is the link:

http://www.shra.org/Content/Housing/HCV/HousingChoiceToc.htm

I am offering my rental house to either market or section 8 tenants. My concern is that my property will be treated like a nice clean safe home and kept that way by the tenants. I believe SHRA has requirements for the recipients. Most are good people with little or no income, but the rent is mostly or completely paid by SHRA
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Lourdes,

Once you take in a section 8 tenant you are "stuck" with them for the length of the lease (usually 1 year). If the lease is violated you then have recourse to have the tenant removed. At the end of the lease period you can ask the tenant to move if you are not happy with the program.

I have section 8 tenants in my own rentals. I personally like knowing that I am going to get a rent check every month. The section 8 inspectors come around when there is about 2 months left on the lease and check the property to see if there is any work that needs to be done to continue the lease for another year. They are not only checking on things that the landlord needs to complete, but also things that the tenant needs to take care of. It seems to me that there are more and more people qualifing for the section 8 program.
If you are in contract it is the same as a normal contract. They must violate the contract or not pay to cancel the contract. If they do not pay or they violate their lease call section 8 and they will work it out with you. But it is the same as a normal lease so if you are in contract then you are stuck until the end of the term unless they violate the lease or they give you and the tenant agree to end the contract early.