Home Buying in Duluth>Question Details

Arelle Picka…, Home Buyer in Euclid, OH

Ok its me the first time home buyer great information I've started my research but part I don't think was clear enough....I do not want a

Asked by Arelle Pickar-butler, Euclid, OH Mon Apr 12, 2010

fixer upper, I have substantial funds which make me buying a home an enjoyable experience, I'm willing to take the time to find what it is I'm looking for. What I want to say also is that I am relocating to Ohio from MN but however which is better a buyer agent or the attorney everyone is talking about? I'm willing to spend or do what I need to inorder to make this go smoothly...any reading suggestions?

Answers

9
Arelle,
If you have already narrowed your search to a particular city, try the local chamber of commerce and government sites on the internet. There you can find anything from crime statistics to predatory offender information to property values (as determined by local tax authorities). Do some Google maps runs and Bird's Eye views of a few properties of interest (on Trulia or other Real Estate search sites) in neighborhoods you find attractive or conveniently located to your future workplace, parks, shopping, etc... If schools are important to you (children now or planning ahead) reference the wealth of information normally available about individual school districts (and individual schools).

Once you have an idea of what LOOKS good to you, seek the help of a local Realtor and expand your knowledge with that individual's input about current market trends, home values, and the amenities offered in various neighborhoods. If you have the opportunity, casually interview some locals as well - they will certainly be able to tell you the good and bad, and most will be happy to share their opinions!

You sound like a Buyer's Agent dream client - you are willing to do your homework and have cash reserves to make the purchase process a bit easier. Find someone who's personality fits your own and who knows the area well and - best of luck!

-Dan
If you buy a FSBO an attorney is a very good option along with getting an appraisal.

If you are buying a house from a MLS listing ( offered by a realtor) use a realtor.

The attorney knows the law and how to write contracts. If you know the value and can have a FSBO agree to sell at what an appraisal comes in at a realtor is not necessary if you follow the right procedures.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 12, 2010
Arelle, exciting news about relocating but having headaches is no fun deal. A buyers agent should be doing a needs analysis with you so that they can understand what it is you are looking for so that they can show you the properties that meet your criteria. If your relocation agent is servicing your needs - time to consider an new one... Most people forget that if you were not happy with your Dentist or Lawyer you would go find someone else. The same is true for Real Estate agents. Just be sure to check any contracts you signed. Real Estate agent vs Attorney. Attorneys help you close the transaction - however if you are willing to be your own agent then an attorney is all you need. However, they are more costly and they will not be showing you houses. Make a connection
Arelle, you definitely need a real estate agent, especially as a first-timer. You may or may not need an attorney, however. Let your agent/realtor advise you on your unique circumstances. Real estate agents are up on all the local real estate trends and properties; lawyers know real estate law.
Arelle, you may need both. Realtors are not attorneys, and attorneys are not Realtors. We do very different things. For help in the home buying process, I would recommend a Realtor. We work with the housing market every day, and know the market.
Arelle, good idea to consult with an attorney. But, an attorney is not going to do the leg work of setting up showings, doing market analyses, be there with you at your home inspection, work to discover material facts, meet with seller agents to work things out, and so much more.

In many states, it's normal practice to have attorneys involved in your closing issues and drawing up of legal documents. But, buyer agents do a very different job. Don't want to discourage you from using an attorney if you want one, but it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Hi Arnelle. Who is this Attorney? I guess I missed the previous thread. No Attorney will take you out to view property. Unless this Attorney has no other type of practice (which would make him highly suspect as an Attorney in my mind). Get a buyer's agent to help you find a great property then use an Attorney to look out for your legal aspects. This will allow for a smooth transaction. Good Luck with you search.
A buyers Agent is the key to your finding the right house for you to call Home.
A lawyer is a must to get you there smoothly
Please choose the ones you feel comfty with before venturing out to find your home

All the Best
U R Home
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
If you are trying to figure if an attorney or a Realtor would be more helpful with your purchase I would definitely have to say a Realtor. Realtors deal with homes all day as opposed to attorney's who mostly work with paperwork. A local Realtor would be able to find a great home for you in Ohio.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com