Home Buying in Oceanside>Question Details

SC, Home Owner in Oceanside, CA

Oceanside inventory is still low as of March 2013 for homes under $400,000 and with more than 1700 sq ft in "good" and safe areas?

Asked by SC, Oceanside, CA Sat Mar 23, 2013

Oceanside inventory is still low as of March 2013 for homes under $400,000 and with more than 1700 sq ft in "good" and safe areas? Does it look like it will get better by May/June time? Renting will be too difficult with 3 dogs and a cat.

Answers

9
Things may improve a little as we get into the swing of the peak season...but I'm not expecting miracles.... Are you working with an agent? May I help you? I'm pretty good at uncovering properties not on the MLS...
I don't think inventory can get worse but it will be at least 6 months before we have any chance of getting back to a "balanced" market. Don't give up on finding a rental because buying a home in this market could take a while.
SC,
Trying to analyze your situation and divise another option: 120 miles from Oceanside puts you in Victorville? or North of LA? Are you going to school in Oceanside or at the location of your current home?
Currently, I myself still have no job (no one is hiring out here at all, especially people with no PAID experience). We currently own a home though.
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
Dont live right in victorville, but go to the college there getting pre-reqs for nursing, transferring to college in oceanside. Much better program (not a 1.5-4 year wait for program) and job oppprtunities in the area and surrounding areas are much higher than where I am (I even contacted the hospital down there and they are willing to hire a new grad unlike here). For buying, Oceanside we felt much more comfortable in (the nice safer areas) than the surrounding areas.
Flag Sat Mar 23, 2013
Great minds think alike :)
Hi SC,
No one has a crystal ball on these matters, but every indication shows that the inventory will remain relatively the same and the fact that it is low, will drive prices up. There will be more buyers come summertime, but that will be matched by the number of sellers so I expect our low inventory problems to be the same. I live and work in Oceanside and would be happy to assist you in every way I can. I tour the inventory here at least once a week, so if you have any questions about neighborhoods, schools, amenities, prices, etc. I would be glad to assist.

I look forward to working with you!
Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®

McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
brokermcallister@gmail.com EMAIL
We cant buy right now until our house sells in our current location (plan to put house up for sale mid-end April with 45 day escrow), and they are selling very quickly here. Main problem is I am still in college and the semester doesnt end until June. We live over 120 miles away (my mom and I) so I cant travel back and forth every day for school.
There is little chance the inventory situation will improve in your favor until perhaps late summer at best. The are several forces at work in your equation, all focusing on entry level detached product under 400k. That may easily jump to 450k at the rapid levels of appreciation we are seeing. The ‘bounce’ can easily end up being an over correction though, especially with some very possible events being tossed around on political and economic fronts. A one percent jump in rates for instance, which can be triggered by further cheery news, can put a major drag into our sails. Also the third party cash kings buying homes sight unseen may too find the pickings getting overly rich and go elsewhere. But the for the present, if you can lock down a desirable home that meets your needs and financial comfort - and you are not settling - then do so. John at Jacques 760 297 0771
Hello SC,

It is very true about inventory levels and it is not just Oceanside. However being that your price range is at $400K, there are some great homes and in good neighborhoods that could be open for you depending on your overall preference. To get a better idea of the type of home you are looking for, perhaps you can give me a call and we can discuss the details and see what is available for you. My office is right here in Oceanside and I have done the majority of my business here as well. Thank you.

Steven Torres
Area Sales Manager
REALTOR®, CDPE, C-REPS, SFR

Elite REO Services/Elite Premier Properties
2171 S. El Camino Real #209C
Oceanside, CA 92054
Cell: (760) 586-0854
Fax: (619) 819-4306
Email: steve.torres@elitereo.com
Website: http://www.your-sandiego.com
I expect the possibility of the summertime inventory tightening further. Many families don't move until their kids get out of school. eg I expect an increase of buyers. On the flipside, the same goes for sellers. The other variable being price; if the current upward trend continues, many homes will push up above the 400k range. I wish I had a crystal ball.