Home Buying in San Francisco>Question Details

Alex, Home Buyer in Palo Alto, CA

Not including open house visits, on average, how many people tour a home before it's sold?

Asked by Alex, Palo Alto, CA Fri Sep 14, 2012

I know this might be a vague, open-ended question, but I've never sold a house. Just out of curiosity, on average, and excluding open house visits, how many people tour a home before it gets sold (assuming that it's priced right, with no major problems, etc.)?

Is it 100?
Or more like 10?

Hello Alex,

Good question!
I feel that it takes 21 days to ramp up the listing on the net.
Then, it's a hot spot to sell - if the house is prepared, presentation is great, exposure is
extensive, MLS has max allowed pictures and the pictures are good. The write has to be very informative - and pricing, of course, the cure for all real estate ills - the price is competitive -
I'd say 15.

If the house is not marketed properly - days on end, and many many showings.
Or, if tenants/owners don't want to show - another one...

Also, what matters is how much inventory you have in this price point.
If a lot - then you got to get creative and make the house stand out.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Alex, I like your question and your attempt to place sufficient parameters to create an "all things perfect" scenario. This means the seller has reviewed the data, listened to professional guidance, and made the decision NOT to act in defiance of the facts. This means the home will be under contract in 30 days or less.

Using traditional marketing, what others have stated, 10 to 12 showing to qualified buyers will get an offer. Wait a minutes...that does not mean it is sold!

Alternative methods can result in generating a stack of offers simultaneously, allowing the seller to select the buyer who is most likely to follow through with the deal. This is where terms and conditions become important and less opportunity for that 'wait a minute' shocker at the end.

Of course all real estate is local, What will happen in Palo Alto Ca can only be determined by consulting with an Palo Alto real estate professional. You can find one by searching for real estate professionals right here on Trulia. HOWEVER....
Don't use that 'contact' button.
No, don't use Trulia email.
If you are serious, go old school and pick up the phone and call the number on the agents profile.

Best of success to you.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
It all depends on the price, condition of the home, the right buyer who comes to see the property. In Dallas I've had sellers who received an offer the first day the home was on the market and it was also the first showing of the property.

If you haven't hired a realtor, I would suggest that you work with a local realtor who can assist you every step of the way.

Best of luck,

Susie Kay, Realtor®
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
Alex, as many people here have said, there is no right answer except one. One willing buyer and one willing seller.

The important thing is, is the home ready for the sale process? Is the seller willing to do what needs to be done to prepare the home for sale. There are so many factors from Staging, Marketing, Open House timelines, timing in the market. The list is endless.

I have had homes sell on the first day on the market and incredible home sell in 6 months. Every agent has had this experience. If you are in Palo Alto which your email states, the inventory is extraordinarily low there. Last time I looked it was less than 3 weeks of inventory.

I always tell a seller to remember their wedding or prom, first day of school or some important event in which they had to look their best. That is how the house should look. Often times, that gets you the best result.

I don't work in Palo Alto however, I have two colleagues who focus their business in the Palo Alto area and if you would like a referral of a professional to advise you in person please feel free to contact me.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2012
Alex, where there is an open ended question there is conversation. There are so many variables I could write a book about it. In my perception: 1. price, 2. marketing 3. type of market 4. type of property will determine all that. I would advise you to meet with local listing agents and determine the above and they can then give you a better answer!
Web Reference: http://www.endrebarath.com
There is no answer for a question like this for the very simple reason that it depends on too many variables. Primarily the local geographic market and then the size and type of property you are selling. Next it would depend on how well is marketed into that market.
A valid goal in our marketing is to "drive" as many people into a house as possible to create the impression that it is a desired property. In fact I try to market a property so that it is the "first one off the shelf" when compared to its direct competition.
It can be one person touring the property to sell it or if it is simply overpriced it might take hundreds of tours before someone finally makes an offer.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
In this market, if it is a standard sale and priced right, it should be less than 10 before you have an offer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
It depends on the demand for the property in your area. If it is priced competitively but the demand is low, the average showing is indeterminable.
Pricing is really the key to determining how many showings it will take go obtain an acceptable offer. If a home is priced well over the market value, there could be dozens of showing with no acceptable offer written as buyers will be let down by what they see as the tour the home as they realize the homes's features and benefits don't justify the asking price.

If the asking price is set right at the market value, it's reasonable to expect 10 to 20 showings to obtain an acceptable offer.

If the home is priced below market value you could expect to easily have 25 to 50 showings with multiple offers, probably one or two of which will be in the range of what you hoped you had assumed was the true market value of the property or possibly above that value.

There's advantages and disadvantages to pricing below market value. I can't imagine a circumstance in which pricing ABOVE market value is a good idea if the seller truly wants to sell the property. Evaluating the market and the specifics of your property in consultation with an experienced Realtor to determine the best marketing strategy is the best way to go!

David Klein
Here's the median number of homes viewed before purchasing:

2007 - 15 homes
2008 - 14 homes
2009 - 14 homes
2010 - 15 homes
2011 - 12 homes

Check our my Blog - "The Home Buying Process"

Helen Yuen, Land & Property (415) 469-0577 helenyuen@lpirealtor.com
If you are referring to private or by-appointment showings, then the number is more like 10 or so under normal conditions.

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
Hi Alex,

Assuming it's priced right, and marketed with a well-known brokerage / agent that offers a robust marketing platform then I would say to expect between 10 - 20 private showing requests (public open houses aside). In today's market, you should receive between 3 - 6 offers (quiet possibly more) with a multiple bid situation and be in contract within 10 - 14 days of being on the market. As an aside, I would also set an official bid / offer submittal date to create a level playing field for Buyers, and, in turn, issue Multiple Counters and ultimately accept (extract) the highest price possible.

The aforementioned is essentially what I'm experiencing in SF.

Dino Zuzic, MBA - TRI Coldwell Banker