Home Buying in Knoxville>Question Details

K9beck25, Home Buyer in New York, NY

North West knoxville

Asked by K9beck25, New York, NY Fri Nov 16, 2012

We are considering moving to North West knoxville and was wondering the thoughts on this part of knoxville... the house is close the merchants and carrie belle around the area.

Answers

10
K9beck25’s answer
Caroline Holt,
My family lives down here... i do believe off of merchants.
As i have webbed all the areas of knoville its really jumpie.. My cousin and his family recommend that i consider here due to they have moved there and its a great area but not so good school .
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 16, 2012
Thank you for the quick reply. It sounds to me like you're in an ideal situation to act quickly after making your final decision. Is there anything I can do to help you learn more about the area? I'd be happy to speak with you further or to offer my assistance when you're ready to view homes here. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions or concerns--I love working with relocation clients, and believe I can relate very well to the needs of those moving from out-of-area.

Take care,

Caroline Holt
(865) 323-1836
caroline.holt@coldwellbanker.com
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
Good morning again,

You've done some diligent research in preparing to make a move. Speaking to local law enforcement is a great way to get a sense of the area, and I'm pleased that the results were positive.

There are some great deals to be had right now, and it isn't necessary to spend $200,000 to buy a nice home in this area. As East Tennessee didn't experience as severe a rise in home prices during the real estate "bubble" as did many areas around the country, our home prices have fluctuated within reasonable levels in the last few years, and are still considered very reasonable. There are definitely some great options within your price range.

Depending on when you plan to move, I would suggest speaking with a local Realtor by phone in order to set up a search of those areas you're interested in seeing. Establishing a connection with someone early is an important step in the process, and a good Realtor can make your transition from New York to Tennessee an easier one (though we can't drive the moving truck!). Please let me know if I can provide you with that assistance--I'll be happy to help.

Have a great day,

Caroline Holt, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace
(865) 323-1836
Web Reference: http://Www.cholt.cbww.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2012
K9 you sound like a good guy, I appreciate the appology. What you are doing is no easy task. If I can be if assistance to a fellow NY native, I'll be happy to help.

You are doing a very good job about being diligent. I am not sure if you are in town or not, but just going to the properties, and being in the area will help a lot. Many of my buyers are like you and want to be informed, and just want to make the right decision. However, when asked the reason they purchased the home they did, most say ,"it just felt right when I was in it. I felt like I was home."

Internet pictures are good. Video is better, but you take the human and emotional element away when you don't physically go look at the home. If and when you get into town, the process will be easier. Not the moving, but the choosing.

If you send me an email at, deals2dreams@gmail.com and label it "NY Buyer" I'll be happy to send you some more info. I have some foreclosed properties that I will send you. I can even give you a NY Yorker's perspective about living in the south.

Hope to hear from you and best if luck,
Dustin Teske
Deals2dreams@ gmail.com
865-257-1448
Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace
And to others to read and give info
Dustin,
I apologize for being rude.. we have looked in area as hardin valley, halls, Farragut and Gibbs.
This is my first home purchase and I'm wanting to stay in the 130,000 to 145,000 to begin off. Rough very rough road head due to the re election.
I called Knoxville police yesterday and asked about the area. The officer replied its good area not a lot of calls. He also had the 911 department run the address to see if anything has happen for police action on the house my family and i are looking at. Nothing major few false alarm from security alarm and police watched the house as the owners went on vacation.
As for the other parts we were looking at you can find a good not old house for a deal... 200,000 plus not willing to go that high as a first time home buyer.
Is there anymore steps i should take?
You sound like a rational and level headed buyer. I appreciate your articulate and well thought out response. Although, it may be a slightly exaggerated response to someone that was just trying to provide a different perspective and give you some insight as a Realtor. You may be a real buyer but these are real issues we face as a Realtors. A response of "That's a great area. I can help you find a home in that area. Call me" may be more self serving response, than a helpful one.

A good Realtor is going to provide you with valuable information, and let you make an informed decision. I wish you the best of luck in your search. I know it can be a stressful time. I too moved down from NY (Rochester in fact). So I know what your going through. I just caution you not to be so crass. Us, New Yorkers, already carry a "Damn Yankee" label whether we like it or not. Southerners, look at us as being rude and insensitive. I found it is much better to prove them wrong, than to prove them right.

I appologize for any misunderstanding. I truly meant no disrespect. Call me if you have any questions or concerns.

Dustin Teske
865-257-1448
Good morning,

Having relocated to Knoxville myself, I can tell you that it's a wonderful place to live. As such, making the decision as the where in Knoxville you'd like to put down roots is a tough choice!

The area around Merchants and Carrie Belle has a lot going for it. Proximity to I-75 and 640 puts you within reasonable driving distance of almost anywhere in Tennessee, while its central location within Northwest Knoxville makes it ideal for accessibility to shopping, restaurants, and many recreational activities. Traffic can be a little heavy around Merchants Drive at times, but the traffic patterns are well organized, and you may find that any commute may be made easier once you become familiar with the local shortcuts.

May I inquire as to why you've chosen to look in this area in particular? As Lisa mentioned below, I think it's important to explore all of your options when making a big move, and I'd be more than happy to speak with you about your plans in order to help you find the area that best fits your personal needs. Whether you'd like to set up a search of the MLS based on your criteria, or plan a visit to "scope out" your options, I'd be happy to assist you. Please let me know how I may help!

You may reach me by phone, text, or email at any time.

Warmly,

Caroline Holt, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Wallace & Wallace
(865) 323-1836
Caroline.holt@coldwellbanker.com
Here is where social media and Realtor ethics meet. As tempting as it may be recommend a particular area, we need to proceed with caution. Giving a specific approval or disproval of an area could get us in trouble for "steering". Lisa Cross provided the best answer to the question. She gave insight to help the buyer, but careful not to "steer". Robert needs to proceed with caution. A username that starts with K9 may not be a buyer, but someone from NAAR to see how we handle different situations. My post is more for helping other Realtors in handling such a question and letting buyers know why it may seem like we are being vague. We are not trying to dodge your question. Lisa, I give you accolades for a wonderful post, and handling it with grace and professionalism.
Thank you.
Flag Fri Nov 16, 2012
I would definitely recommend coming down and visiting the entire Knoxville area to find the right fit for you. Knoxville is a wonderful area, but North Knox, South Knox, East and West all offer different "feels". We used to live in Halls, which is in North Knoxville. This area is a bit more of the country feeling, although the area has all of the amenities you need. Fountain City is another neat little area. West Knoxville offers all of the shopping your heart desires, with areas like Turkey Creek.

If you have children, I would recommend checking out http://knoxschools.org for school report card information. And, I would recommend calling the local police departments for information on areas that interest you.

No matter what "feel" you are looking for, Knoxville offers it all. It is a great town, full of things to do for everyone. The downtown area is great to visit and there is usually always something going on for everyone. Downtown is especially nice around the holidays..as a New Yorker, you will appreciate the ice skating rink they put up every year after thru the holidays. We even have a few hot dog stands around town.:)

If you need help finding a real estate agent that best suits you, I can help. I am a referring broker, which means I connect clients with qualified agents who will be the best fit for you. Hope I have helped...have a great Thanksgiving.
That is a good area. Very convenient and you can get a lot of house for your money compared to some other areas around town. I would be glad to send you a list of other houses in that area if you will email me your price range and the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you need. Email me at saundersrealtor@gmail.com. I hope to hear from you soon.