Home Buying in San Rafael>Question Details

Tim Betry, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

North Bay Real Estate Agent Needed

Asked by Tim Betry, San Francisco, CA Tue Jul 9, 2013

I am looking for an agent to help me in my house search anywhere from Mill Valley, CA to Novato, CA. Are there sites where they list and rank Real Estate agents with reviews, etc? Or how would I go about getting someone that I know will do a good job for me?

Answers

10
HelpUBuy America’s answer
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area.

I'm an EBA and I wrote a book called "Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You". It will be the best $6 you've ever spent. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!
Hi Tim,

I have held many open houses over the years (nearly weekly) and met thousands of buyers and sellers. .. If I were you, I'd would look for an agent while checking out houses you're interested in. It's the perfect time to interview them. First, you eliminate the agents who are too busy to focus on you be case they do not do open houses. Second, you get to see the person in action and find out how much they really know... about the house, the neighborhood, current inventory, prices etc...
I agree with some other previous answers in that building a good rapport with your chosen agent is important.
Not important is the agent's bragging rights of organization or clubs they have joined or payed to join.
A short informal conversation with the agent holding the open house is the best way to meet the right person and while you're there listen to how they treat other people at the open house.

I have a preference for myself but you have a lot of great agents to choose from! Now, go find a house and an agent!

Dan
415.497.8864
Interview several brokers and figure out who is the most experienced, reputable, and reliable, has time to work hard for you, and can offer references you can talk to.

Also keep in mind that most likely you are going to spend a lot of time with this person, so if you have more than one equal choice, pick the one you get along with best.

We don't go as far north as novato so I am not vying for your business.

Lance R. King - Founder/Managing Broker
King Realty Group

DRE # 01384425
415.722.5549 - Cell
lance@king-realtygroup.com
Tim, I'm happy to meet with you and your family to discuss your housing needs and my own qualifications. In this market in particular there is no substitute for knowledge and experience. I have many solid references I can share with you. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Thank you.

Jaime Pera
there is no substitute for a personal interview. Also, take a tour of some properties with an agent to see how well they know the area - know the amenities of each neighborhood, the schools, parks, etc. how close the transportation is and the type of commute one would be looking at. If an agent has had success and happy customers, there should be some testimonials that the agent can share.
Trulia does post reviews that customers can view. If an agent has a website it should also give some information and bio and show samples of homes listed and sold. If you feel that the agent listens to your needs and is flexible and patient then there could be a good match.
wayka at Alain Pinel. waykab@apr.com
PS, as your needs fit a lot of my clients (wo make the move to Marin County from SF to eventually start a family), you may be interested in the Marin Community Seminar that I hold. I've been holding it for 3 years now to rave reviews. You can register for the next seminar date ( which is actually later this week) by clicking here:

http://www.MyMarinHouse.com

Liz
Hi Tom, best of luck to you in your home search, I'd also recommend visiting agents websites and reading what their clients say about working with them. That is quite telling as well. Sites like Yelp often "filter" reviews for realtors, as we don't do as many transactions as say a restaurant, so if you go to Yelp, be sure to click on the "filtered" review link at the bottom of the agents page.

There are approx 1300 agents in Marin County, I"m guessing that the top 100 - 150 of them do the majority of the sales, so that's important to look at as well.

In addition a lot of homes are sold off market in Marin. There are 2 invite only groups that top agents belong to that are for networking off-market needs and listings. You may want to ask the agent you are considering working with if they belong to the Marin Top Agent Network as well as the Marin Platinum Group!

Lastly, I'd say listen to your gut. Find someone you can communicate well with and that is responsive when you reach out to them.

Let me know if you'd like to meet for coffee to see if we'd be a match.

Liz McCarthy
Top Producer and Partner
McGuire Real Estate
http://www.BayAreaRealEstateSales.com
Liz@BayAreaRealEstateSales.com
415-250-4929
We can send you a resume to show you our level of experience in Marin county and years of combined experience as well. You want to make sure that you feel comfortable with the Realtor that you decide to work with as well as a trust that the Realtor that you decide to represent you will advise you properly through the process. Let us know if you would like to have any further information about us or our experience.
Hi Tom:

I work with a lot of first time home buyers and will be very happy to meet with you and talk about your specific situation, your needs and wants, as well as the process of looking for and buying a house here in Marin county.

It will be a long process and you do need to work with somebody who you can trust and work with.

You are welcome to look at my profile before contacting me.

Sylvia Barry
(415 )717-0293
sylvia@SylviaBarryRE.com
Frank Howard Allen Realtors
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Hi Tim, Trulia is a good place to start to look for a good agent. There are reviews and ratings for agents on this site as well as Zillow. Yelp is also a good place to look.

Do you have friends or family who live in Marin? Getting a referral from someone you know is always a great idea as they can tell you first hand about their experience.

I moved across the bridge from San Francisco after my first daughter was born and work in Marin from Sausalito to Novato. Because I have also owned a home in Healdsburg, I know the whole 101 N corridor pretty well through Sonoma County.

I would be happy to have a phone conversation or face to face meeting with you to learn more about your home purchase and if I can be of help to you. Call anytime at 415.335.5525 or email.

Thank you and Good Luck! Ashley Bock