Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

soprano1965, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Non-refundable deposit on a new home that has not started construction?

Asked by soprano1965, Houston, TX Thu Sep 13, 2012

We put a contract on a home and for circumstances of my husband's job transfer, need to back out. All they have done is draw up the blueprints, no ground has been broken. It is not custom, but we did add a 3rd garage $5000 non-refundable deposit for. Is there any chance of us getting that back?

Answers

2
John Juarez’s answer
The builder is going to argue that you have defaulted on the contract and the contract gives them the right to retain your deposit. What argument are you going to make that will overcome the language of the contract.

Is there a chance your husband’s employer will pay you back as a “relocation allowance”?
that's what i was afraid of. thanks!
Flag Thu Sep 13, 2012
You should consult with a real estate attorney and have them review the contract. Real estate agents are not able to give legal advice.
:-) I work at a litigation attorney's office, I considered showing it to one of them but wanted to see if it was even worth it in the first place. Thanks!
Flag Thu Sep 13, 2012