Home Buying in Alpharetta>Question Details

Mardnus Ajus, Home Buyer in 30080

No Permit for Mostly Finished Basement at 1255 Beacon Hill XING - ML#5222726, and Tax ID#21-5640-1035-147..Your thoughts if u were my realtor?

Asked by Mardnus Ajus, 30080 Tue Mar 18, 2014

Beautiful looking home 1255 Beacon Hill XING, with a ML#5222726, and Tax ID#21-5640-1035-147...From disclosure (a few months ago) the basement, though mostly finished, was done without permit. Are there legal/code, tax, insurance hassles, post purchase headaches, and would you recommend buying it, if you were my agent? Appreciate your thoughts, about any home without a permit, as forums reveal this is common in many parts of the country...

Answers

2
It's really up to you and how much risk you're willing to assume. If it's a great house and you have to have it, or if the price is amazingly low and it looks like a phenomenal deal... then proceed, knowing that you may bear some expense correcting the unpermitted work. You might want to talk to the building department, they may be willing to work with you to get the permit and keep the project on track without a lot of hassle (after all...YOU didn't cause the problem, you're just trying to FIX it, so they should be happy with you and WANT to help). If you do talk to the building department, I recommend you do so in generic terms, without "outing" the seller, because if he ends up getting hauled into court over zoning violations you may sour the deal. Best of luck...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2014
I think it depends on what work was done to be "mostly finished".
According to the city of Alpharetta, a permit is required if you do things like electrical work; however, if you put sheet-rock on the existing studded walls, carpet, tile, painting etc, then you would not be required to have a permit.
Its does appear electrical work was done, as there is a home theater with an overhead projector, lights etc. The bathroom was not completed..If I understood the the City of Alpharetta home inspector, she stated the city was not bothered as many homes were doing the same..but at the same time she could not inspect and give approval as it would cause a liability issue...And Fulton county directs these questions to City of Alpharetta...And the lender thinks the bank could ask for a permit...and hence the list of open questions grows...Since you are an agent in Alpharetta, have you seen such situations and how was it handled...and more importantly if you were to be my agent would you ask me to look elsewhere or is the situation workable....A friend of mine in Forsyth had it so easy for her where the County came and helped put the issue to bed for a nominal fine, and helped my friend move on. Looks like the city of Alpharetta just does not care....In any case, your views and suggestion?
Flag Tue Mar 18, 2014