Home Buying in Thousand Oaks>Question Details

Shoppingforh…, Home Buyer in Thousand Oaks, CA

New to area, can I afford to live anywhere between Calabasas and Thousand Oaks (inclusive)? What should be my price range with details given below?

Asked by Shoppingforhome, Thousand Oaks, CA Sat Apr 2, 2011

110K annual income and no other debt than a car payment of 215. 75-90K down payment available.
Looking for at least 3 bedrooms, 4 would be nice and at least 1700-1800sqft. And please recommend good buyer's agents in the area, if you feel that I can afford to live in this area.

Answers

6
Hi, Shopping4home

A rough estimate would be $2,500 - $2,700 monthly $330,000 - $350,000 sale price. Most lenders prefer your mortgage payment to be a third of your income. Keep in mind taxes and insurance above utilities. Home prices range any where from $150,000 - over $1 Million in Thousand Oaks with the median price being $500,000. Ultimately it will depend on what your necessities are eg., close to freeway, near schools etc. Feel free to give me a call or send me an email to discuss your needs. I am able to send you the most up to date homes for sale.

Jorge
i would be happy to help you.

There is a wide variety in this area, from townhouses to sfr, rustic to contemporary. We take what you want to spend and go from there.
Hi Shoppingforhome,

the comments here are spot on. While a generic review of your situation would give you a place to start, there are many things lenders take into account now when qualifying a purchaser for a home. I an a mortgage broker in Thousand Oaks and would love to help you determine exactly what you can afford in the area. Please give me a cal anytime on my cell phone at (805) 701-7012 to speak further about your situation and get you a more complete answer.
Web Reference: http://www.tffmtg.com
Robert Smith
White House Properties
805.559.8492
Hi Shopping for a Home, a lender is going to be the best one to look at your financial picture and determine what you can qualify for. Some agents will plug in a formula and post a price range here for you but I think that could set you up to either get overly excited or disappointed. The lending rules have so many angles. I would have to ask you more questions to really be able to answer your question specifically. So, I am going to recommend you contact Jenni Sherman at 805-279-2779 to go over your whole affordability picture. You would have no obligation and she typically works all weekend. Lenders are really a first stop in deetermining what you can qualify for and importantly having the conversation about what part of your income you want to spend on monthly housing costs. I would say that based on what you post, you will be able to afford a home here, probably a really lovely one. I sell homes in the area and think Thousand Oaks will be affordable for you. You could probably afford to purchase in other areas but you will, in my opinion, get the most house for your money on this stretch of the 101 corridor in Thousand Oaks. I had lived in Thousand Oaks since high school, moved to Simi Valley almost 20 years ago to get a little more house for my money 20 years ago but still have two children attending school in Thousand Oaks and maintain a small business here. I would be happy to share with you homes that could fit your budget in all areas and discuss what sounds like the right fit for you. Each area has some of it's own unique qualities. Please click through to my Trulia profile page and contact me directly so that I can help you get started.
Web Reference: http://Www.ConejoLiving.com
Here's an EZ to read widget to determine how much your payments would be: http://www.findthousandoakshomes.com/calculators.aspx You will want to eventually sit down with a mortgage professional to determine which options make the most sense for your particular current and future scenario. The market has generally stabilized, but some say we may be in for a double-dip in home prices by the end of the year. Plan on first researching the various neighborhoods extensively to see which one(s) are the most appealing. You can begin that process here: http://www.topmarketer.net/CSR/CSReport.aspx?65WTG4PRLV8S# Good luck on your exciting journey!