Home Buying in Fairfax>Question Details

Benny Lava, Home Buyer in 22031

New home final walk-through

Asked by Benny Lava, 22031 Tue Sep 11, 2012

Is it standard to NOT receive a copy of the walk through punch list? I had my second-to-final walk through last week (final walk through on closing date), and the building manager just walked off with the list without even giving me a copy or asking me to initial/sign it.

Answers

6
Always ask for a copy and you should sign it at the completion of the walkthru.

http://www.SheilaSellsMore.com
I ended up getting a copy at final walkthrough. It definitely seemed a bit odd given past experiences, but everything turned out well in the end. Thank you for all your responses!
Benny,

Did you use a Realtor in your purchase? If so, have him/her get it. If not..well then you should get it. Depending on the builder..some don't really like for you to have documentation of walk through items..they may hope you forget.

John is correct in that a reputable builder would welcome a home inspector and a reputable agent would certainly in almost all cases URGE you to have your own inspector.

As I say.."It costs you nothing to use a well qualified Realtor to purchase your home, but it can cost you plenty if you don't".

There are a host of other things a quality agent will speak with you about in buying a new home including but not limited to different ways to amend the builder contract, financing, how best to address closing cost credit, mechanics lien insurance etc.

Feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Erik J. Weisskopf, ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Re/Max Distinctive
Erik@AskMeAboutHomes.com
703-216-1222
Hi, Benny,
As a retired builder, I say that you should always have a copy of a walk through inspection. Keep calling until you get it. I also welcomed home inspectors. Maybe this is a wake-up call for you to engage a home inspector. I would hire one who is both state-licensed and a member of the home inspector's trade association.
Yes, you should receive a copy and they should have gotten your signature on it. I would contact him initially to request a copy and if they refuse, go to the next responsible party to get a copy. You may also contact your agent. You have no proof of what was noted in the final walk through without it.
Hi Benny,

Everything sound good up to you not getting a copy of the document. As a rule, one should never sign anything without getting a copy of the signed document. Consider contacting the manager and making this request sooner than later.

He didn't ask me to sign anything, so in a way I'm somewhat relieved. But at the same time, they could just transpose half the list onto another sheet of paper and say that's all I came up with for the punch list? If this is standard, oh well, but it seems like I should have gotten a copy of the punch list, even if I hadn't signed on it.
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012