Guest User, Home Buyer in Cary, NC

New construction townhome question....1-car or 2-car garage?

Asked by Guest User, Cary, NC Fri Sep 26, 2008

I've been looking at townhomes (new construction).
Would you suggest a 1-car or 2-car garage for an ~2000 sq. ft. townhome?

Answers

12
It's really based on what you're paying and the other homes around you. Cary/Morrisville can be a tricky spot. If it's a $225k price point a one car may be okay. If it's 350k you definitely need a 2 car...lots of factors there.

I'm happy to give you some advice or counsel on the issues. We also have a guarantee for buyers, even with new construction. If we cannot negotiate at least $5000 we give you $500 to wards your closing costs!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 26, 2008
In some parts of the country a 2-Car garage is a liability. In this area as long as you have a garage you are ok for resale purposes.
I would look at the typical demographics for the townhomes. Are they mainly owned by single people or couples? If it is mainly owned by single people, then it may not be as critical to have the second space. Chances are that a lot more couples live in the townhomes and they will prefer to each have a parking space. As long as the cost is not too great, that would be your better option.
Townhomes with garages are much better than townhomes with out garages. You need to decide what is most important to you.
A major thing to consider is your typical townhome in the area has a one car garage and they are typically very tight space. If you need storage in your garage you will definitely want a two car garage. They are harder to find but there are some out there.

Also please be advised that new constructions onsite agents represent the builder and not the buyers. If you would like an agent to represent you and your best interest please feel free to call me.

Jamie Lobb, Broker/Realtor
Real-eStage Realty
Jamie.real-estage.com
Jamie@real-estage.com
definitely 2 car garage would be best option
What is your price consideration? 2 car garage is much better for resale.

Nil Varinca
NilVarinca@kw.com
919 882 3292 Office | 919 272 8796 Mobile | 919 459 6867 e-Fax
http://www.NilRealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.NilRealty.com
I would definitely go with 2 car garage - it is much better for resale and will always be preferred over 1 car garage. The storage space it would provide would alos be a plus.
Hi Guest,

In terms of resale value a 2 car garage would be best. If this option is not available then at least a 1 car garage.
The majority of buyers do require a garage so if you opt not to have one your property may be inferior to others when it comes to sell in the future.

Lizete
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com
Most buyers (looking at future re-sale) will want 2 cars. But if the area is known for having mostly one car garages, it may be o.k.

Kim Eisen
RE/MAX Realty 100
"Helping People Make Smart Real Estate Decisions for over 28 Years"
Experience Counts!
(651) 457-HOME (4663)
Hi... if you can afford a 2-car garage, I'd definitely go that route instead since there are generally more folks interested in 2-car garages as opposed to 1-car....however, any garage is typically better than no garage at all as far as re-sale goes in townhomes. You want to try to appeal to as many different types of buyers as possible when it's time to sell. Do you have certain subdivisions or builders in mind? I'd be glad to pull some information for you. Even in new construction, it's important to have a buyer's agent representing your interests as opposed to just working through the on-site agents. Sellers pay the commission in this market, so you would get representation by a buyer's agent for free (in 99% of cases...possibly not if the home is a for sale by owner). If you're ready for working with an agent, I'd love to help! The first step is to make sure you've spoken with a lender to get prequalified. I have lots of references if needed. Feel free to search for homes on my website at http://www.wendynormanonline.com or drop me an email from there. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!
definately a 2 car if it is an option however 1 car is better than none. a two car garage on average will add more value when it comes time for resale.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com