danspot, Home Buyer in Bellevue, WA

New construction in Lochleven area - 2 or 3-car garage? (vs. 5 or 4 BR)

Asked by danspot, Bellevue, WA Mon Sep 10, 2012

We are looking to build a new house in Lochleven, ~3500 sf. One option is to go with a 2-car garage and an extra bedroom (5 BR, bonus), or a 3-car garage (4 BR, bonus). We have a use for the 5th BR but not for the 3rd car spot.

I am worried about resale implication of having only a 2-car garage. A quick survey of recent construction in the area shows that 3 or even 4 car garage is the norm.

Answers

4
Dan T. is right on Get the rooms you need first then worry about that 3rd garage. I would say you must take a long term approach and 4 bedroom plus den is a must.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Danspot,
My first rule of thumb is how long you expect to live in the home? If you are short term, pay lots of attention to making the house as generally appealing to the broadest possible market. If you are long term, 7 years or more, then I'm more inclined to suggest you do what pleases you.
4 bedrooms or more will always find a market in Bellevue. 3 car garages are common in the upper price ranges and are a sought after feature.
The "magic room count" tends to be 4 bedroom, plus den, plus bonus with 2.5 or more baths. This is the most sought after scenario for most of my buyers. Garages are popular, but they are less expensive to add than finished rooms, so it could come down to your budget too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Here is a good overview of what's in the immediate area and available -http://www.searchseattle.net/idx/search/1fc214004c9481e4c807…

As you can see there is one home there that offers 2 car garage. A compromise might be 2 construct a home with a 2 car garage that has additional storage, the question will come down to how long do you plan to own the home -- if for a fair amount of time, then the value is there for you to build it as you prefer. If you plan to resale within next 5 years then you might go with the smaller house and bigger garage since often time people seeking a 3000+ sf home expect (or at least hope to find) a 3 car garage and if that is your competition.....regardless you have the location, location, location that will prove very valuable in the end!

Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
Hi Dan,

Definitely go with a 3 car garage...buyer expect anything over a 3 bedroom to have a 3 car garage and the 5th bedroom at that square footage will not be expected.

Good luck on the build!

Heidi & Michael Syltebo I Coldwell Banker Bain I Above & Beyond Real Estate Representation

425.652.6573 I EastsideHouseValues.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013