Home Buying in El Cerrito>Question Details

Vinvedi, Home Buyer in El Cerrito, CA

New construction in El Cerrito

Asked by Vinvedi, El Cerrito, CA Sat Mar 23, 2013

Is it possible to find any building lots in El Cerrito flats or hills? This could be an alternative to bidding wars for the current low inventory of houses on sale. I especially welcome comments from someone who took this route. Many thanks.

Answers

4
I don't know if you're still looking, but one way to build your own home in the Bay Area, with very little vacant available land for sale, is to buy a total "tear down" fixer and rebuild. That way, your utilities are already in place and that will save you lots of money in lieu of buying raw land and having to develop it. I developed a piece of land in Grass Valley, CA where there are far fewer hoops to jump through with zoning and building requirements, and even that was a headache. So, a lot with everything in place and a home that needs to everything could work to your advantage. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 25, 2013
Two lots in our hillside community sold in 2004 having been on the market for the first time in 50 years. The consortium that built these "spec" houses alienated the surrounding neighbors by building houses that blocked views, maxed their available footage and were not architecturally suited to the hillside. The result? Both houses are now rented as neither attracted buyers. Morale: Do your due diligence, work with the community *and* try to blend your new home into our mid-century view houses. If so, you'll meet with success.
I might add the obvious: this is an EL CERRITO hill house. (We have two houses elsewhere.)
Flag Tue Jun 3, 2014
the lot next to 6461 Hagen Blvd. is available, near Bart Del Norte, Shopping Center, SF View,

In my opinion start with a consultation with an architect, you have to tell them what you want (how many bedrooms, size, etc.) He will be able to advice you on the development requirements and probably is in touch with general contractors that can do the job. Additionally, the architect can figure the cost and get you in touch with financial institutions that can provide construction loan if you need one.
take a look at lot next to 6461 hagen road, el cerrito. It is approx 25 x 118. Let me know if you are interested.