Home Buying in Davenport>Question Details

Florida UK, Home Buyer in Davenport, FL

New construction homes is listed price the minimum accepted or can you offer?

Asked by Florida UK, Davenport, FL Mon May 3, 2010

Answers

11
Usually new construction is priced pretty firm, however, in the current economic market conditions, we have found that builders will throw in additional appliances and some closing fees to make it work.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 8, 2010
I had to look at the date this question was asked because all the answers so far all seem to come from 2006. They certainly have nothing to do with the reality of 2010. OF COURSE YOU CAN MAKE A BUILDER AN OFFER. They expect it these days. This is especially true of condos and townhomes where they have already started to sell some of the units. Don't expect to get a 20% discount off list, but do expect them to be willing to listen to and maybe even accept your offer.

Mark LeMenager
Find your next house with the click of a mouse.
Search the MLS without obligation or registration from my website.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 3, 2010
Typically, new construction prices are pretty firm, but these aren't typical times. Make an offer and include all your upgrades and extras...you never know. You would have a better chance if you can find a new home that is already up.
Del Webb Orlando (Pulte Homes) will give you a discount if you pay cash 10 days after you sign the contract and are also giving closing costs for cash buyers.
Hey Florida UK,

If you are shopping new builds there are some cash incentives offered to buyers as stated below. Another way to reap the rewards on new build buying is to ask for everything including the kitchen sink. New builds want your business and incentives like stainless steel appliance upgrades, blinds, upgraded carpet flooring and other upgrade incentives are abundant so don’t be afraid to ask for them and the kitchen sink too if needed. I recently assisted new home buyers at Encantada and got them a great deal, so show up ready to negotiate, it never hurts to try and if you rather someone else do the wheeling and dealing for you, then bring a qualified agent to assist you. There are tons of us on trulia to choose from.
Del Webb Orlando is also doing some great incentives this summer before the snowbirds get back. Their base pricing will probably go up this fall so you can lock in something for a 9 month build out. Also, they are paying some closings costs too. For more info email me at susan@thetropicalsunteam.com
In this market builders will accept a reasonable offer on a spec home for sure. I sold new homes for Del Webb Orlando (Pulte Homes) and they would offer certain incentives on spec homes as well. So the price can be negotiated. The best thing to do is work with a real estate professional and they can help you do the negotiating. I work for Keller Williams Homestead and I specialize in new and resale homes for the active adult.
I agree with Mark, Yes you can offer.

Some builders will also have 'spec' homes or homes nearing completion they will want to get under contract quite soon.
Builders will also work with closing costs instead of a top line reduction especially if you use their affiliated mortgage company.
I have a few developers in vacation rental communities that our group has exclusives with that will consider lower prices for cash offers. If you are paying cash I'd be happy to put you in touch with them but they generally won't budge for financing offers.
This is a good question. I have never had anyone ask for a price reduction on new construction. However, I have seen the builder throw in items and announce a price reduction when they know that they have a serious buyer.

Debbie Albert, PA
Coldwell Banker Residential
New Construction prices in most cases are base prices or starting prices. Some builders will look at offers but seldom reduce prices. You have a better chance of negotiating free or reduced upgrades than you do kncoking prices down. A good buyer broker expereinced in new construction is a plus as they will know what market values are in the community and can guide you whether you should look for a price reduction or to ask for upgrades to be included.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com