sawicki5, Home Buyer in Louisville, CO

New construction cost per sqaure foot

Asked by sawicki5, Louisville, CO Tue Aug 21, 2012

Answers

6
Sawicki5,

I've been in the real estate (and construction) business for over 35 years and I can tell you that the cost to build new construction will vary with fluctuations in the prices of the underlying commodities that go into the construction process. For example, the cost of lumber is unusually high at the moment in our area and will push overall costs up until lumber prices come back down. The cost to build will also depend on the contractor used and the fees that the local government charges to issue permits, etc. Finally, the type of construction (ranch vs. multi-story, etc.) will also affect the overall cost. That said, as a very broad estimate, you would probably be looking at $150 - $225 per square foot.

If you let me know more specifically what you're looking to build, I can give you a better estimate as to cost. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further.

Tom Kalinski
Broker/Owner
RE/MAX of Boulder, Inc.
303-441-5620
kalinskiteam@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 14, 2013
What is the going cost per square foot to build outdoor living space in Boulder County?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||| UPDATE 2013 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

There is that old maxim: You get what you pay for.

Quality is what I look for in a home.

If I'm going to make the biggest investment of my life, I want something built that I know has been constructed by the industry's best.

Contractors often will quote a dollar figure per square foot. You can build for $100 per square foot in Boulder, Weld, Adams, Jefferson, Broomfield and Larimer counties.

But would you want to?

Are the builders going to work for nothing? (Not a good formula for craftsmanship).

Do you want the least expensive materials available? (Sometimes inexpensive is the way to go if you're OK with it. Material costs are headed up.)

My recommendation is you contact several building contractors who have a pile of photographs and referrals from homes they have constructed. They have lived and worked in the same community for their entire careers. The community and their customers speak highly of them, or they're not in my list of contacts.

Suz
Hello Sawicki5,
This is a much larger subject than you might have imagined. Without a little better idea of what you want to know about the cost per square foot, it will be difficult to give you a helpful answer. But I'll try.

Generally speaking ...
-- Comparing cost per square foot between builders can be like comparing apples to oranges. On a custom build ... it's an awful lot of work and again it might not be a meaningful comparison. There can be rather dramatic differences in the materials and quality of construction as well as how many windows can be found in one builder's homes. There are inexpensive things builders do, too. But it can make a world of difference in the curb appeal. If I had a better idea of what you were asking, I could give you a specific answer. Feel free to ask a followup question here, or give me a call.

-- Note that construction requirements can differ from city to city and depending on where you are talking about in the city, the construction might have to be sturdier to account for say the high winds in the west parts of Boulder. Price per square foot in Boulder versus other cities is considerably more owing to other factors.

The upshot is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Louisville is not what I would call one of the less expensive areas. But it offers a mid-range between - say Lafayette/Erie and Longmont.

Suz
HI sawicki5:

This is a difficult question to answer because prices vary widely from one neighborhood to another (or even within a neighborhood, depending on construction and finishes). What we can say is that asking prices for the five Louisville homes currently listed on the MLS range from $121.40 to $232.08 per square foot. The one new Louisville home listed on the MLS and sold during the last six months went for $168.63 per square foot. All of these homes have unfinished basements. It should be noted that, of currently listed homes, the state of current construction is not obvious and there are no actual home photos with any of the listings.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
303.981.1617
ron@rovtar.com
http://www.rovtar.com
I have heard you will be running in the $200-$250 per sq ft range finished. Obviously, this depends on finishes and the footprint of the house (2 story is less expensive than a ranch).