Home Buying in Jackson>Question Details

keith_jollif…, Home Buyer in Jackson, NJ

New Construction Negotiating

Asked by keith_jolliffe_1, Jackson, NJ Wed Dec 18, 2013

I am currently negotiating with a builder to build a new home in Jackson, NJ. In the current market is there much wiggle room to negotiate the price down at all? The starting price for these homes was $400K, which we got down to $385K because of the builder taking certain things out of the construction (slab instead of basement, 8 foot ceilings instead of 9, no fireplace, no soaking tub in the master bath), so we really aren't getting a break price wise just losing some items that aren't on our wish list. At this point we will be doing few upgrades; < $5K, which may bring the price to $390Kish. I feel like the builder is not going to budge from that base price and not sure if he will give us much concessions for the upgrades either. What are your thoughts?

Answers

2
Tina, thank you. The builder is a local guy Premier Collection Custom Homes. The lots have been on the market since Sept. And he said to us he has had no interest in the lots until now (us). I figure it may be a long winter for the builder if we don't purchase from him.
Since we don't know who the builder is, there's no way to know how he'll respond to your negotiations. Usually, builders won't negotiate on price unless he can't sell the homes.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com