Home Buying in Nashville>Question Details

Frank B, Home Buyer in Nashville, TN

Nevada Heights (33rd. Ave.)

Asked by Frank B, Nashville, TN Sun Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone heard anything about viability of the Nevada Heights area on 33rd Avenue in Nashville? I have heard several properties have been reduced a great deal.

Answers

10
Barry T’s answer
I actually have purchased one of the homes being built in the area and am anxious for its completion. I can't imagine a view as magnificent - and believe me, I have been up there at every time of the day and evening - and one view simply surpasses the next! For me, it gets down to making a decision based on your interests and requirements. If a spacious yard and suburban type atmosphere is what one is looking for - look elsewhere. If a cool atmosphere with an extremely intoxicating view of the city is on your list of priorities, then Nevada Heights is a rarity and a find, at any price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 22, 2009
The views are some of the very best in Nashville. In the long run - the scarcity of contemporary homes to choose from, the neighborhood views, and quick proximity to Nashville’s hot spots should win out. There is almost nothing like them anywhere else; just a blast to walk through and experience. Today -- it’s a sky high price range for the surrounding neighborhoods and has not yet been proven at resale (tough economy to some degree, but also some minor missteps with power lines and arrangement of outdoor living spaces). Timing could be good depending on what you have in mind.. risk vs. reward (grin).

Two more contemporary choices (down highway 100) to add to your list online:
http://listings.realtracs.com/Buyer4.aspx?EmailID=24254784

Quick question, are the new high rise properties - with stunning city views - an interesting choice for you as well?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 19, 2009
Frank,
For a little more insight into Nevada Heights, the original builder's idea was to have this most contemporary group of "boxlike" houses nestled together on this hillside with incredible views...but the interesting concept was that an internationally renowned architect from a different country would design each one...I have a feeling that the concept was changed as it was slow in the development process...It is such a unique concept and the style is somewhat "avant garde" for Nashville, TN...

I would say those properties are affected by the interstate noise and price must reflect that obstacle..
Web Reference: http://www.Laura-Scott.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 19, 2009
Frank,
Based on questions I get from buyers, it seems their perception is that there must be 'something wrong' because so many homes are listed up there at the same time right now.

For MANY years, it was very difficult to buy in Nevada Heights. There were a limited number built (only one per year), lots of competition (one of the few modern emclaves in Nashville) and they usually sold for close to full price prior to (or just at the begining of) the construction phase.

Now, in the past year, three listings and three more new construction...unusual. All I meant by the comment was that there is a logical explanation for the changed availability pattern up there. Each listing and new construction has it's own unique story...they just all came about at the same time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 19, 2009
I'm one of the listing agents of one of those reduced properties. It's a great area and has been steadily appreciating over the years. Until recently, the developers who worked up there only built one home a year. All three of the current listings went on the market around the same time (unfortuntely for the sellers - right when the market started declining) for very different reasons: one owner relocation, another owner downsizing...not sure about the third listing.

I've spent a lot of time up there as a friend and an agent and almost bought a home there myself (until the current real estate market kicked my income in the butt and delayed that dream).

If you're interested in taking a look at the homes, give me a call. If you want to meet some of the neighbors and hear about the community, I am also happy to make some introductions. Although it looks like there might be something fishy going on becuse of the three listings up there currently, I urge you to take a closer look. You just might find that you get the deal of a lifetime on a pretty stunning home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 18, 2009
Kimble, of course, said it wonderfully with her insight. All I would add is that I am one of those people who have the joy of living in a home overlooking downtown Nashville in another area of town. As Kevin points out, view living is a wonderful and rare living. When I was searching for my building site, my #1 priority was a downtown view. Stock is rare and hard to find. While view homes may not have the most generous supply of buyers, there are buyers who will sustain the view-market when economic times are at their prime.
Kevin and Kimble,

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate others who provided feedback. This site and its contributors are simply the best.

Cheers
Frank B!
Viability is a great question that encompasses several potential ways to answer. How long do you plan to live there? Are you interested in brand new...or an older home? If you like older...how handy are you? Do you love home maintenance and fix up? Do you have kids? how important are schools to you?
Transitional neighborhoods are in fact neighborhoods experiencing change...one way or the other. Neighborhoods that attract lots on new homes and folks that like to rehab older homes are a good example of a neighborhood in transition. Nevada Heights is in transition. Its up to you to decide if that sort of change appeals to you. I suggest you check out several good sites for ANY neighborhood you plan to buy in....

NOTE:
Quality of life and good schools make any neighborhood attractive as well as enhance and protect value.

http://www.police.nashville.org/stats/

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Nashville/TN

Your due dilligence, (or your buyers' agent) prior to making any offers on any homes will pay off handsomely. A wise old man once told me that you make your money when you BUY realestate not when you sell it...Think about that.

Best wishes!

Steve Condurelis
Broker, co-owner
Brentwood/Nashville
There are a variety of styles of homes in that neighborhood, but I bet your asking about the ultra-modern homes with the downtown views.
Here are all the comps since 2004 - note the closing dates.
http://listings.realtracs.com/Reports/EmailPublicCMAReports.…

The current listings are priced more affordably than they were a year ago. I personally think this neighborhood will bounce back and continue to be viable because of their uniqueness.

If you're looking for something in the same style with a skyline view, the homes on Katie Hill might also interest you:
http://listings.realtracs.com/Reports/EmailPublicReports.asp…
Hi Kimble,

Thank you for the quick response and the information you provided me. I drove up there one night and could not see the houses due to the darkness, but the view was fantastic. One question: What did you mean by the "something fishy" comment? :-) I really liked the architecture. I am presently in D.C. for the inauguration. I should be back by end of the week. I may contact you then.

Cheers