Kim, Home Buyer in Chesterfield, MI

Neighborbood has well water and septic.Also is it a good neighborhood to move into?

Asked by Kim, Chesterfield, MI Wed Jun 20, 2012

Not sure of water. Will it discolor tubs,sinks. pool. Is this area growing or will it have city sewer or water soon? Are tax reasonable?

Answers

10
You should contact a LOCAL buyers agent who can help you with this. Cape Coral is complicated with regard to Well/Septic versus City Water/Sewer and whether the assessments are paid or not. Cape Coral is currently putting City Water and Sewer in certain areas with other areas next in line. Eventually the few areas remaining on Well and Septic will be put on City Water and Sewer with a cost to the home owner. Before purchasing a home on Well and Septic you should find out when City water and Sewer will be coming in along with the attached assessments so you can be sure it will not be a hardship
It's not really a good/bad question. It's a good idea if you live on well water to purchase a decent filtration system.

The plan is to put the entire city on central utilities as quickly as possible.
We are on well and septic. Our water is free of smell nor does it stain. We prefer to not drink it as it is our preference in taste but we do not have a RO system either. We usually fill our bottle water at the local Walmart on Pine Island Road for $0.27 per gallon. The City does have a plan for utility improvements which can be found on their website. The City is growing and I feel like the taxes are reasonable.
I grew up here and have had city and well water. Depending on the water softening equipment, the water quality can be pretty good. One home had a system that pretty much eliminated any smells or taste completely I suppose it also depends on the underground water that you are tapped into as well.
Having purchased in the area 3 years ago, we have some experience as to the water quality. A well maintained softener system will help, but there are days when the sulphur odor is very bad even with that. I would recommend a whole house reverse osmosis system - we had one installed, and the difference was nothing short of amazing. Beforehand my wife wouldn't even rinse her mouth with the well water after brushing her teeth - she kept water bottles in the bathroom! Now the water is actually drinkable.
As for when we will get utilities - it could be as long as 10 years or more depending on what exact area you are in. Even at that I have heard people complain about the city water!
Taxes? Coming from New Jersey the taxes are a pittance! We pay twice as much for half the house and property...
It is difficult to definitively predict when 33993 will have municipal utilities, but the recently elected members of the Cape Coral Council campaigned to re-start the utilities expansion program.

Although everyone's interpretation of what is reasonable for taxes, Florida has no state income tax, so more of the burden for running government falls into the property tax bucket.

Here is a resource to view active listings in the 33993 zip code: http://www.greaterftmyers.com/33993-real-estate.php

Good luck with your search!
Hi Kim,

It really depends on how well the well equipment is maintained. The equipment should be serviced often to avoid discoloration of any tubs, toilette's, etc. There are many companies in Cape Coral that will maintain these for you, I use a company called Waterman 911 and they do a great job on my personal well equipment.

Certain areas in the North Cape are slotted to begin the utility expansion project (City sewer and water). Although a price has not been determined for the assessments, they were around $17,000 last time they were doing the expansion project, so this is something to keep in mind also when buying a home in the North Cape. They also do not have an exact start up date of the project, however it is slated to start next year in 2013.

I believe taxes are reasonable, but of course you are the only person that can determine what is reasonable for you as we all have our difference of opinion. As far as the neighborhood goes, check out area crime rates, you can find these by google searching it or go to http://www.sheriffleefl.org and searching on their crime map they provide on their website.

Frank Glaab
Gulf Gateway Realty, Inc
239-243-6224
Frank@gulfgatewayrealty.com
http://www.ccparadise.com
Hi Kim, as Susan said, only you can determine if a neighborhood is good or bad. A zip code will often have some good, some not so good, some more or less built up.
As others have said a good water treatment system will ensure water qualiIty. Eventually city utilities will come in along with the assessments. I would be happy to help you find a home anywhere in this area.
Marge Bennett
Re/MAX Realty Group
239-560-4159
Marge@MargeBennett.com
Only you can decide what neighborhood is the best fit for you and yours.
A good water system will take care of any discoloration, odor, and taste issues of well water.
With any installation of city water and city sewer comes assessments and hook-up costs.
Or
You could focus your search on the areas that already have water and sewer installed with many being free of assessments. These areas tend to be fully established closer to shopping, schools, restaurants,

Have the advantage of searching like a Pro !
Just sign up for a listingbook account on the front page of my site, you'll receive the latest listings sent right to your inbox!
I"m a buyers agent I work for you! The listing agent works for the seller !
No tricks ,No gimmicks, No harassing phone calls.
You tell me when you're ready !!!!
Click the link below for a free listingbook account:
http://agent4leecounty.listingbook.com/

Best regards ,
Susan Callahan, ABR, CNS
Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate LLC
CELL: 239-896-6342
7205 Estero Blvd # 724 Fort Myers Beach, FL. 33931
E-Mail: Agent4lee@aol.com
http://www.AGENT4LEECOUNTYFL.com
Most homes have a private water treatment equipment so you shouldn't have those problems. A good home inspector will measure the total dissolved solids in your water to make sure the equipment is working properly. It is a growing area and the west part of Burnt Store Road is a beautiful area. Your taxes will initially be based on your sales price so Homestead your property and they will stay reasonable. If you wish to contact me and give me the specific price and area I can tell you more details.

Respectfully,
James Sommers PA GRI
Licensed Real Estate Professional
Accredited Cape Coral Residential Specialist
Miloff Aubuchon Realty Group Inc.
Direct 239.851.2351
Fax 239.542.7166
KWCape@GMail.com