Home Buying in 01475>Question Details

Carole Carton, Both Buyer and Seller in 201 Brown Street

Need property line division

Asked by Carole Carton, 201 Brown Street Sun Jul 6, 2008

The driveway between 201 and 205 belongs to which residence or either?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Carol,

The Deed and possibly your public record (depending on the town or how recent some types of permits have been pulled) will provide you with property line measurements, or (meets and bounds)...you can try to measure yourself, but your best bet is to contact a land surveyor.

Best of Luck!

Web Reference: http://MelissaBMancini.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 6, 2008
I have a listing currently that has a shared driveway between two properties that since the original sales have been owned separately. By the way neither current owner wants responsibility for maintenance. Boundary disputes are not uncommon.

County records wil clearly state the boundaries of each property and as Melissa pointed out a survey is the best way to get a clear understanding of exactly what those boundaries are. A deed specifying that the property line "...commencing at the northeast corner of said northeast quarter, thence south along the westerly line thereof, 1176.16 feet and thence south 89 degrees east, a distance of..." while completely accurate leaves most people scratching their heads.

Many county web sites include maps and diagrams of properties by owner, address or Parcel ID. In many cases (more metropolitan areas) these can even be displayed with satellite imagery as the background allowing for a clear visual of the driveway and where the property line falls in relation to that driveway. These sites are normally reasonably intuitive to use but if you have issues or are still confused, a personal visit to your county auditor's office (the name will change based on the task assignments in your particular jurisdiction), a request for assistance from your friendly clerk and you should walk out with an answer.

If you are just curious, this should suffice. If there is a dispute, get legal advice from an attorney. A survey will be your definitive answer, good, bad or otherwise.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2008
tTax records will give you the legal description, which may make it obvious which property the driveway ison. However, there may be an easement as well. I siggest you check with the county recorder.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 6, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer